Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Pulled Over by LEO

I've heard things like a LEO can confiscate a detector if he sees it when he pulls you over, is this true. I don't live in Virginia or DC. Could this happen because of laws that state that you cant have anything mounted on the dash or windshield?

Advanced Member

can't confiscate it

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Experienced

they might fine you for having a dangrous item on ur wind sheild...but moe than likely he would have you remove it and then you would be off with your day, no worries at all. the worst that could happen is that you would get a fine if the cop is an a hole..but that is highly unlikely..never would they confiscate it..

Power User

The LEO's WILL confiscate it in Canada(in provinces RD's are illegal), Australia and some european countries.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah not living in Virginia and D.C. (assuming you live in the states) LEO's will not confiscate your detector...heck even in Virginia where they are illegal the odds are slim they will confiscate it(and not return it).

As stated if the officer is in a bad mood or something they can get you for obstruction of view....depending on where your detector is mounted.... but most officers really dont care to much to be honest, and will probably just ask to take it down or move it elsewhere.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Pulled Over by LEO

Quote Originally Posted by LexX50
    I've heard things like a LEO can confiscate a detector if he sees it when he pulls you over, is this true. I don't live in Virginia or DC. Could this happen because of laws that state that you cant have anything mounted on the dash or windshield?
    I bought a Garmin GPS Navigation (windshield mounted one) and the documentation told me California doesn't allow you to mount anything on your windshield. I assume that applied to RD also.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by csteph
    I bought a Garmin GPS Navigation (windshield mounted one) and the documentation told me California doesn't allow you to mount anything on your windshield. I assume that applied to RD also.
    i have my rd and my gps on the sheild...ahah

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Yeah not living in Virginia and D.C. (assuming you live in the states) LEO's will not confiscate your detector...heck even in Virginia where they are illegal the odds are slim they will confiscate it(and not return it).

As stated if the officer is in a bad mood or something they can get you for obstruction of view....depending on where your detector is mounted.... but most officers really dont care to much to be honest, and will probably just ask to take it down or move it elsewhere.
    If the VA LEO confiscates it(rarely happens), if you show up in court YOU WILL get it back. The reason why confiscation is extremely rare is:

1. The serial # on the ticket is sufficent for "evidence".

2. Getting caught with a RD is not a mandatory court appearance offense. As long as the LEO is not writing you for a mandatory court appearance ticket(like reckless driving or DUI) then they would most likely not confiscate the detector unless maybe if you act like an a$$.

Experienced

Yep.

Radar Fanatic

Interested in moving in a jurisdiction with a law like this one :?: :roll:

Speed measuring warning devices

79. (1) In this section,

“speed measuring warning device” means any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Speed measuring warning device prohibited

(2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Powers of police officer

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Forfeiture of device

(4) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this section, any device seized under subsection (3) by means of which the offence was committed is forfeited to the Crown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (4).

Penalty

(5) Every person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (5).

Exception

(6) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who is transporting speed measuring warning devices in sealed packages in a motor vehicle from a manufacturer to a consignee. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Sale of speed measuring warning devices prohibited

(7) No person shall sell, offer or advertise for sale a speed measuring warning device by retail. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Penalty

Every person who contravenes subsection (7) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,

(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not more than $1,000; and

(b) for each subsequent offence, to a fine of not more than $5,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 .