Newcomer

Default First Ka and Laser

I am one of the lucky few that bought my passport off EBay and have it actually work, that was before I found this site. Today, I had my first experience with Ka and Laser...from the same cop. I left home and picked up a weak Ka where I never had a false before slowed down and around 2000 ft over a hill, there he was. Normally, people travel 40 here and the limit is 25. Anyway, on my way back I was going 25, but didnt pick up any Ka. I stayed at 25 just in case and then got my first LASER alert. My passport is mounted about an inch below the rear-view mirror and it still picked up the Laser at inside of 1000 ft, probably around 600 ft. I wonder if he was aiming at the windshield, because I find it hard to believe that I would get an alert at such a close distance aiming at the headlights or license. I wonder if my car being silver reflected the laser and added to the detection range (Jim, do you know if this happens?). The cop was parked perpendicular to the road and shooting outside his window. Even though it didnt offer me any warning had I been going 40, I think this is a pretty good case of a passport being very capable at alerting to LASER.

Power User

Default Re: First Ka and Laser

Quote Originally Posted by originalwack19
    I am one of the lucky few that bought my passport off EBay and have it actually work, that was before I found this site. Today, I had my first experience with Ka and Laser...from the same cop. I left home and picked up a weak Ka where I never had a false before slowed down and around 2000 ft over a hill, there he was. Normally, people travel 40 here and the limit is 25. Anyway, on my way back I was going 25, but didnt pick up any Ka. I stayed at 25 just in case and then got my first LASER alert. My passport is mounted about an inch below the rear-view mirror and it still picked up the Laser at inside of 1000 ft, probably around 600 ft. I wonder if he was aiming at the windshield, because I find it hard to believe that I would get an alert at such a close distance aiming at the headlights or license. I wonder if my car being silver reflected the laser and added to the detection range (Jim, do you know if this happens?). The cop was parked perpendicular to the road and shooting outside his window. Even though it didnt offer me any warning had I been going 40, I think this is a pretty good case of a passport being very capable at alerting to LASER.
    Color apparently does not matter to the fact of reflections for laser detection, I have asked the same question and other user said they have black cars and their RD high alerted, I have a white car and mounted high, and have laser alerts too. So it is possible to get an alert. In my cases I recieved laser alert because of reflection from the pack of cars ahead of me when the LEO was targeting them, I also recieved a rear reflection alert, I was impressed that the rear laser senor can work, seems so small, but you never know, if I had a freak bounce and the front picked it up /me shrugs.