Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Tech mode anomaly

    Had the chance to test a couple runs tonight against a K and Ka radar parked in the same lot. It appears that sometimes two signals can cause an incorrect frequency to show up in the tech display. I was getting a really strong K signal at 26.169, and as I got really close, it switched to Ka 33.714. This was county police, and i've never seen them use an MPH product, so that was a bit of a shock. I decided to switch back to INTL and see what it did - same result. Did a reset, went by with default settings, now showing right around 35.5 (normal Jefferson County Ka). Switched back to USA, again showing around 35.5.

    Either the tech display can be thrown off by multiple signals, or the reset made something chance and show the correct frequency. Really odd, either way.

    Oh well, I await Professor Jim's ever enlightening response.

  2. #2
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I spent over a month running in tech mode and saw so many different things it was ridiculous. Tech mode is just not very accurate on these detectors and is there more as a novelty than anything else. I drive by the same hotel that falses K band (door openers) 5 days a week and on average I'd get 3 different readings per week.

    There are multiple posts here on the forum that essentially come to the same conclusion.

  3. #3
    Power User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,150

    Default

    Yaaa.

    And I am not really concerned that the TECh dispaly can show eronous numbers, what I am concerned about is that the RD knows that there is a real Ka threat out there. I am hopeing to figure out that my Bel will still alert to Ka in AccuSweep (USA) mode even if the numbers in TECh display show really out of tune numbers. My thoughts are that the RD picks up a Ka threat wether it be 33.8, 34.7, or 35.5 but some wonky programing pukes out 33.4 on the display which I have personally seen and verified the trooper with. This was with Ka wide mode (international if you will), unfortunately I did not switch to AccuSweep (USA) mode to figure this dilemma out. Hopeing to at the end of the month. I would like to trust the RD but either there is a serious bug or my troopers really use Ka wide, literaly.

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Yaaa.

    And I am not really concerned that the TECh dispaly can show eronous numbers, what I am concerned about is that the RD knows that there is a real Ka threat out there. I am hopeing to figure out that my Bel will still alert to Ka in AccuSweep (USA) mode even if the numbers in TECh display show really out of tune numbers. My thoughts are that the RD picks up a Ka threat wether it be 33.8, 34.7, or 35.5 but some wonky programing pukes out 33.4 on the display which I have personally seen and verified the trooper with. This was with Ka wide mode (international if you will), unfortunately I did not switch to AccuSweep (USA) mode to figure this dilemma out. Hopeing to at the end of the month. I would like to trust the RD but either there is a serious bug or my troopers really use Ka wide, literaly.
    That sure would be good to know. This is the first time i've seen a real alert that far off frequency, but i'm still not too worried. It *did* detect in USA in my case, and i'm thinking it was something to do with all the signals (at least 5 police cars, unknown number of radar sources) and an array of K false alerts right over a small hill.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    BTW, I got an X hit out on the highway at 10.480 a couple days ago. Never found a source, just interresting that it's showing a signal 20MHz outside what the detector is supposed to detect in X. That's really got me wondering if it was scanning an extra 20MHz out, or if it was just the tech mode goofing up (my guess).

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    I think it goes +/- 100 MHz.

  7. #7
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default Re: Tech mode anomaly

    Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Oh well, I await Professor Jim's ever enlightening response.
    Tech mode freaks out sometimes...


    That's all I got :cry:

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Well, I must be getting smarter because I came up with the same theory as Jim for once!

    Saabr - As per Roy's site it's +/- 25 on X.

    Features and Specifications
    Operating Bands
    X-band 10.525 GHz 25 MHz
    K-band 24.150 GHz 100 MHz
    Ka-band 34.700 GHz 1300 MHz
    Ku-band 13.400 GHz 25 MHz
    Laser 904nm, 33 MHz Bandwidth

  9. #9
    Power User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Well, I must be getting smarter because I came up with the same theory as Jim for once!

    Saabr - As per Roy's site it's +/- 25 on X.

    Features and Specifications
    Operating Bands
    X-band 10.525 GHz 25 MHz
    K-band 24.150 GHz 100 MHz
    Ka-band 34.700 GHz 1300 MHz
    Ku-band 13.400 GHz 25 MHz
    Laser 904nm, 33 MHz Bandwidth
    Good info.

    Where it gets me and everyone else :?: is the Ka, I know +/- 1300 but there has been no documentation about the narrow band, just resonable good guess that it follows same suit of +/- 100. That still leave a grip with me and my numbers, As Jim said it seems to puke out buggy numbers. If it is a wacko real Ka radar gun, then I can not use Ka narrow, I am tending to believe that I can trust Ka narrow, and that TECh mode, well everyone knows by now, it isn't sophisticate high quality equipment. Good discussion.

  10. #10
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stealth9
    Tech mode is just not very accurate on these detectors and is there more as a novelty than anything else. I drive by the same hotel that falses K band (door openers) 5 days a week and on average I'd get 3 different readings per week.
    Whenever I have the chance to drive by a real K or Ka threat, I try to drive by again to test range etc. But every time it has been a real threat, the SpecDisplay will show the same frequency each time.

    LEO's radar guns have to be calibrated every so often, but automatic doors do not. We don't know if auto-doors etc. fall out of calibration, or even if they just operate in a certain K or X range.

    It may not be the X50 or RX65 with the problem...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tech Mode
    By JonnyZero in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 11:24 PM
  2. Bel Tech Mode
    By fromthecoast in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
  3. Tech Mode
    By jdreynss in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM
  4. Using my STi in tech mode
    By seanboy184 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 10:12 PM
  5. Tech mode
    By fireant in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •