Good Citizen

Default A thought about X50 and pop falses

Yesterday, I'm driving through a main road in a residential area where the speed limit is about 35 mph. In this area, there are absolutely no businesses around. I see an SUV approaching me (not a cop) and I make a note of it to my wife because it has six headlights (horrible for avoiding laser :wink: ). Anyways, as soon it is along side me, BAM, pop false. Weird, I thought.

Later on in the night, I'm getting on the Mass pike in Framingham, and I pass two vehicles on the side of the road (SUV and a truck, neither cops), and the moment I am right along side of them, BAM, pop false.

Now this is two pops in the same day when I normally never get false pops. Anyways, my thought is that maybe the X50 is falsing on POPs because it's detecting crappy radar detectors when we pass the vehicles in which their installed (It's picking up their quick, weak signal). Has anyone else noticed that they get false pops at the moment they are alongside another vehicle??

Another reason this makes sense to me refers back to the sticky that Sethy had about the versions of software installed on the X50. Many people had confilicting experiences with falses for version five. Why? They are the same version. Perhaps these different experiences in false pops are just due to the fact that more, or less, people use crappy radar detectors in the area you live and your just picking up their leaks. Both of these pops occurred in Framingham where I never normally drive. In Newton, where I live, I hardly ever see people with radar detectors mounted on their windshields, if ever.

What do you think? :idea:

Good Citizen

I concur.

It happens to me on the freeway in California.

I've only had 5 false POP's since I bought my X50's a couple weeks ago, and 4 out of 5 were next to other vehicles.

Good Citizen

Default pop

3 in Westchester,ny RX65..........

I concur, happened 3 times today, all next to other vehicles.

Radar Fanatic

The only times I seem to get POP falses out of my RX65 is from other detectors and when i'm almost about to get a K-Band signal that's still too weak.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    The only times I seem to get POP falses out of my RX65 is from other detectors and when i'm almost about to get a K-Band signal that's still too weak.
    Exactly!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Exactly!!
    That's really something of a problem around here because there is an enormous number of people that use detetors compared to other areas and there are a couple streets that are just one K-Band door opener after another. I really hope that Bel can work something out with the POP filtering. I'd even take an option to automatically shut off POP when in City mode so I don't have to mess with the menu.

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I get constant POP falses due to other radar detectors in my area. I am in WA State running a X50. I turned off POP and X band for now.

Radar Fanatic

I've had a few pop falses also w/ my V1. I think all pop detectors will alert to these short signals originating from other detectors. My V1 however pointed at the SUV behind me then immediately sounded the Dee-dah-doo and J symol for false alarm and all went quiet.

Any detector that wants to have a chance of warning you to pop will have to be very very jumpy. The art comes in telling the user that the alert was not real.