Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default First impressions of x50. From a die hard V1 user.

    Last week I asked some of you folks for opinions in regards to which detector x50 or rx65 I should get for my wife. I finally decided on the x50.

    I recieved it today and have had a chance now to give it a 20 min run. The first thing I did was turn on expert mode and the scanning dot , then I drove around town with it on the dash as well as my V1. First off, I can tell you the two detectors interfere with each other tremendously. They caused each other to false inside my garage already.

    So I turned the V1 off and decided to run through my neighborhood with the x50 on. I was looking specifically into how often the x50 falsed in my area compared to the V1. From years of experience, I know exactly where the v1 falses here. So I did my drive and I have good news and bad news:

    The bad news: Despite the fact that the V1 is supposed to "false alot", the x50 picked up the same falses at exactly the same spots. Therefore it would seem to me that in my immediate area the x50 responded to all of the same "false sources" as the v1.

    The good news: The x50 responded exactly as my v1 did. Granted it is annoying to hear kband dooropeners, but I was glad to see that it did alert to them because that means it is detecting the same thing at roughly the same distance. The x50 is slightly less annoying once it does go off because of the automute.

    As for the performance, well I won't be able to tell until I've had more time and also some real police encounters. Unfortunately today all the local revenue collectors must have been on vacation, because all the regular spots in my area where they are ALWAYS shooting radar were empty. I guess thats murphy's law... if you want to test a detector there are no cops to be found.

    I'll post more commentary on this thread on the specific differences I find between V1 and x50 as time goes on. The x50 will be in use in my wife's car whenever we drive around... should be interesting.

  2. #2
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default

    What mode were you running the X50 in? City, highway, or auto?

    City will reduce X falses somewhat. In programming mode, you can change City to City Lo-X or No-X, which is useful if X isn't used in your area. Then you can get your X50 to false less than V1.
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  3. #3
    Professional
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    The X50 is an excellent dollar value and probably the better detector for the urban warrior. However, once you've done arrows it's hard to go to a detector missing them.


    Enjoy (and turn off that POP) !

  4. #4
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Good post... I think you (your wife) will enjoy the X50.

    Remember even though your a die-hard V1 fan, try and keep yourself as unbiased as possible.
    I think you will find autoMute to be a nice little feature.
    Yeah the scanning dot is a blast...especially at night

    As with any detector it takes a little bit of getting used to...

    Btw: 4things

    Red or Blue display?
    What 'mode' are you running it in?
    Tones: Loud or STD?
    Did you see what I was saying with prioritizing alert tones?
    X<K<Ka?

  5. #5
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpatz
    What mode were you running the X50 in? City, highway, or auto?

    City will reduce X falses somewhat. In programming mode, you can change City to City Lo-X or No-X, which is useful if X isn't used in your area. Then you can get your X50 to false less than V1.
    Yup, it is also possible to change 'modify' the bands and turn 'X' off there.

    Personally I just leave everything (besides POP) 'ON' (even though I never got the insane amounts of falses others have)...Also run it in either Highway mode(prefer this mode)... or Auto(2ndary).

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nomore55
    The X50 is an excellent dollar value and probably the better detector for the urban warrior. However, once you've done arrows it's hard to go to a detector missing them.
    True I think you will like it (your wife actually) and remember to be unbiased (as I said)


    Quote Originally Posted by nomore55
    Enjoy (and turn off that POP) !
    It should be off as a factory pre-set if I am correct.

  7. #7
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default Re: First impressions of x50. From a die hard V1 user.

    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    The first thing I did was turn on expert mode and the scanning dot
    Nice eh?
    Personally I like the SpecDisplay the best, as it tells you the frequency.

    Despite the fact that the V1 is supposed to "false alot", the x50 picked up the same falses at exactly the same spots. Therefore it would seem to me that in my immediate area the x50 responded to all of the same "false sources" as the v1.
    I'm sure that if you spend more time with the X50, you will see the difference.

    The good news: The x50 is slightly less annoying once it does go off because of the automute.
    Auto-mute is one of the best features of a Radar Detector. I don't see how V1 users live without it. :wink:

  8. #8
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default Re: First impressions of x50. From a die hard V1 user.

    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Auto-mute is one of the best features of a Radar Detector. I don't see how V1 users live without it. :wink:
    I agree with the detection ranges (on any of the top 3 being capable of 1mile+ ) I couldnt live with out it in some cases. You figure if you are going 45MPH in a 40 and you get a 1.5mile warning on lets say oh heck k-band (most anyone would agree the top 3 could all achieve this) stationary sign in an easy to detect placing...well that would be 2minutes of pure beeping on an every-increasing scale... I love hearing my detector alert but for 120seconds and no auto-mute :shock:

  9. #9
    Power User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,150

    Default Re: First impressions of x50. From a die hard V1 user.

    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Auto-mute is one of the best features of a Radar Detector. I don't see how V1 users live without it. :wink:
    I agree with the detection ranges (on any of the top 3 being capable of 1mile+ ) I couldnt live with out it in some cases. You figure if you are going 45MPH in a 40 and you get a 1.5mile warning on lets say oh heck k-band (most anyone would agree the top 3 could all achieve this) stationary sign in an easy to detect placing...well that would be 2minutes of pure beeping on an every-increasing scale... I love hearing my detector alert but for 120seconds and no auto-mute :shock:
    I thought that the V1 has some sort of mute control, or is it just a manual thing where you have to push the button?

  10. #10
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    No, it does have an automute feature (of sorts) but it must be set as a 'time delay' I believe. Its not an all-out 'automute' feature of the X50 or RX65, but im 99% positive you can have a (sort of) 'automute' feature worked in...
    It is not; however; the all out standard 'automute' feature that most people would tend to think of when you say that.

    Any V1 users to explain more on this?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. GPS mirror - why user input alert, and not user input mute??
    By GTRstikya in forum Other Countermeasures
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM
  2. New 9500i User Here, First Impressions
    By sethy in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
  3. Whistler 1793SE. Impressions by a new user.
    By AlexRuiz in forum Detector & Counter Measure Testing and Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
  4. Beltronics V895: Impressions by a new user
    By AlexRuiz in forum Detector & Counter Measure Testing and Reviews
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •