Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default X50 loses X and K bands intermittently

Just started noticing this problem. Went to Chicago and noticed that the K band speed sign at the Indiana West toll road exit didn't set off the detector. However I did get Ka's and some POP and Laser falses. On the way back home the same K band signs did set off the X50. Started watching this real close and have noticed it doing it off and on. When it stops working it just affects the X and K bands and not the others. Unfortunately it failed at a small town $$$ speed trap and the LEO got me for 14 over.

Going back and looking at it the next day, he must have gotten me about 100 yds from the 50 mph sign. Haven't had a ticket in over 19 years but he didn't even flinch and wrote me one. I'd love to fight it but just one day off of work would cost more than the $120 ticket.

Guess I'll go back to my Whistlers.

Radar Fanatic

Have you seen any messages on the screen such as "self-cal" or "service required"? It sounds to me like the detector is operating on the fringe of calibration. The X50 uses an internal calibration process to keep the local oscillator in-tune in order to reduce the size of the "guard bands" that it has to sweep. This is supposed to reduce falsing + sweep time, but I would imagine that it also makes it more likely to miss radar units operating on the edge of a band in the event that the LO did manage to creep out of tune. In theory that shouldn't happen without your knowing about it. In practice, maybe not.

Old Timer

sounds like it has fallen out of tune.

my v1 did the same thing back in the day

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    sounds like it has fallen out of tune.

my v1 did the same thing back in the day
    Yeah, but then again he should have gotten the 'Self Cal' or 'service required' message unlike the V1. It may however (a longshot here) be that the X50 is completely malfunctioning and it isnt even displaying those messages though. (thats a real long shot though). BTW what REV. is your X50? And what is the voltage the X50 is getting?

It is a longshot but its possible the speed sign has gone out of tune and even the LEO radar gun. (It has happened before).

Are you still getting your normal falses? Try driving up to a (know) automatic k or x band door and see what happens.

Good Citizen

I've yet to get a self cal or serv. req. message that I know of.

As far as the speed sign, like I said, on the return trip the X50 detected it. Actually I should mention there are 2 signs there; one for each direction, and I get both detections, but on that day I didn't get the detection of either on the way to Chicago, but got both on the way back.

Also, during the time I suspected that X and K were not working, I never got any falses on X or K. I wasn't on a usual route but I would normally get falses once in a while on X or K anywhere I go.

I've gotten in the habit of resetting the unit now when I get in it. Not sure if it will help, but ya never know with X50's it seems. I don't believe I turned the detector off when I was in Chicago so what made it work on the way home baffles me.

BTW, this just started happening about 2 weeks ago. It was pretty obvious but I really wasn't paying much attention to it at the time.

Professional

I would send it in with a note to see if they can find anything wrong wih it and make sure you talk to someone as well. You want to make sure they find something wrong with it since it seems obvious it is? If they say its fine I would ebay that sucker so fast and then get a V-1 (I had to throw that in there..LOL)

Really if they say all is well, I would sell it and get another, as I would not be able to trust it anymore.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Holla
    I would send it in with a note to see if they can find anything wrong wih it and make sure you talk to someone as well. You want to make sure they find something wrong with it since it seems obvious it is? If they say its fine I would ebay that sucker so fast and then get a V-1 (I had to throw that in there..LOL)

Really if they say all is well, I would sell it and get another, as I would not be able to trust it anymore.
    Agree.

Someone I forget who, posted and said they witnessed there X50 frozen up (granted it was very cold weather), then only way they knew about it was the scanning dot stopped scanning. It is a long shot guess (speculation) that there could be something similar. Either way, I would be pissed as well.

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Someone I forget who, posted and said they witnessed there X50 frozen up (granted it was very cold weather), then only way they knew about it was the scanning dot stopped scanning.
    I knew it was more than just entertainment...

"The 8500 X50, now with radar heartbeat"

LOL

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Someone I forget who, posted and said they witnessed there X50 frozen up (granted it was very cold weather), then only way they knew about it was the scanning dot stopped scanning.
    I knew it was more than just entertainment...

"The 8500 X50, now with radar heartbeat"

LOL
    HAHA Yeah, it is the RD that shows its ALIVE!

Good Citizen

Might try running it in the V (voltage display) mode for awhile. This way if the voltage is dropping out it will beep and display low or high voltage. This is the only mode that actually monitors the voltage. Kind of a firmware flaw/tradeoff if you ask me, as any mode should detect an under or over voltage condition and display it, since the capability is built into the X50.