Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal - OC Style
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Anyone experienced 8500 X50 Ka band not working at all?

    I have a strong feeling the Ka band on my 8500 X50 rev 5 is not working, because it never goes off. I've had this detector since September 2005, and I cannot recall a single hit on Ka band. Has anyone else experienced this?

    POP, Laser, K, and X have all gone off. I drove by an accident the other day where six CHP were gathered, and the detector was silent. I find it hard to believe not one of them had their radar unit on. Last night I got on the freeway and I noticed I was 2 cars behind a CHP ... I followed him for 10 miles just to see if my detector would get a Ka hit and it never did (CHP use Ka, K, and Laser).

    I emailed Escort, and they replied that their "filters are the best in the business, the unit runs a diagnostic every 8-10 minutes," etc. etc.). I've had no "self cals" or "service required" on this one, and yes, Ka is turned on. I've even reset the unit a couple of times to be sure.

    I've had X50's before (this is literally my 5th since June 2004) and Ka always went off and in fact saved me from more than a few tickets. I'm starting to lose trust in this one. Thanks.

    -Obsidian-

  2. #2
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    I have never heard an X50 come directly from the factory and have it completely missing the Superwide Ka band.

    It is hard to test since there arent many 'Ka false' objects. (Where as X&K have boatloads of things you could test it on.) If you aren't getting 'self cal' or 'service req' messages it would seem odd to be completely lacking any Ka detection.

    Maybe run a second detector with it for a few weeks... two completely opposite ends of the windshield (X50 doesnt like other detectors... especially el-cheapo's around it much) Now this isn't really for 'testing and performance purposes', but what it will allow is for you to see if other detectors can get a Ka signal while the X50 stays silent.

    Why have you had so many 8500's BTW?

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Radar Land
    Posts
    670

    Default Re: Anyone experienced 8500 X50 Ka band not working at all?

    I would return it if I where you as this seems like a major issue.

  4. #4
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default Re: Anyone experienced 8500 X50 Ka band not working at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian
    I've had this detector since September 2005, and I cannot recall a single hit on Ka band. Has anyone else experienced this?

    POP, Laser, K, and X have all gone off. I drove by an accident the other day where six CHP were gathered, and the detector was silent. I find it hard to believe not one of them had their radar unit on.
    8/10 CHP cars I encounter do not have their Ka guns on. Remember that you will not be getting any Ka falses either so if you do get a Ka hit - it is for real.

    What part of Cali are you from?

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal - OC Style
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Anyone experienced 8500 X50 Ka band not working at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Maybe run a second detector with it for a few weeks...

    Why have you had so many 8500's BTW?
    Hmm, maybe I'll try that. Perhaps the V1 30 day trial ... couldn't hurt I guess. I'm also thinking about driving to one of the CHP stations and parking across the street to see if it goes off then.

    I've had so many because they keep breaking:

    X50 #1 in June 2004 lasted four months before it started doing "self cals" all the time. I took it back to Best Buy and got a new one.

    #2 lasted another 4 months before it started doing the same thing and finally gave a "service required." I took that one back and exchanged it for a new one.

    #3 lasted 7 months before it started doing "self cals" and freezing up. I took that one back in September 2005 and exchanged it for yet another new one.

    #4 literally lasted 10 minutes. I hooked it up in the Best Buy parking lot. It got K and X hits from all the doors in the shopping center and I drove off, and less than a mile away it completely freaked out, showed gibberish characters on the display and gave a constant tone. I turned around and drove back to the store where I exchanged it for #5, which is my current X50.

    Before #4, I figured I was somehow the cause of these things breaking ... I did leave them in really hot cars, never turned them off, and my car itself is somewhat violent with a very stiff ride (Mitsu Evo VIII), so the X50 got jolted around a lot. With #5 I have been very gentle ... I turn it off before I turn the car off, and don't turn it on until I start the car. I leave it in the case and not on the windshield when it's hot and bring it inside when it's cold. No "self cals" yet, but if Ka is not working then it's useless to me.

    I had a friend working the electronics deptartment at Best Buy, which is why he always did an even exchange for me. He's gone now though, so if this one is broken I'm out of luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    8/10 CHP cars I encounter do not have their Ka guns on. Remember that you will not be getting any Ka falses either so if you do get a Ka hit - it is for real.

    What part of Cali are you from?
    Right, they usually don't leave them on, but I got Ka hits on all the other X50's, at least a couple per week. Seems odd I pass so many each day on the way to work, at least one visible sighting every day or so, yet my Ka never goes off. I have the kind of car they love to point the gun at too.

    SoCal, Irvine area.

    -Obsidan-

  6. #6
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default

    I would try a factory reset, and then go swing by that CHP station....

  7. #7
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MyAssAchusetts
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Repeating the same behavior over and over again (buying X50s), and getting the same result (for the most part, no workie) would be considered insanity. Consider the V1 or RX65 imo, but I would shy away from Escort imo. If you do go the escort route, patronize Roy.

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal - OC Style
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidTransitSystem
    Repeating the same behavior over and over again (buying X50s), and getting the same result (for the most part, no workie) would be considered insanity. Consider the V1 or RX65 imo, but I would shy away from Escort imo. If you do go the escort route, patronize Roy.
    That would be insane. I have only bought one X50 though. The others were even exchanges for new ones. When they are working, the X50 has saved me from some crazy tickets, over hills and around curves. I drive canyons a lot for fun and if I had all the tickets the X50 saved me from, I would not have a license. It's highly doubtful I would buy another one though, as I am not yet insane ;-)

    -Obsidian-

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Computer interfacing!!
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Turn off the x band and k band . Enable tech mode. Enable std startup. Turn the detector on and note Ka audio and visual bar.

  10. #10
    Power User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    My Home
    Posts
    3,169

    Default Re: Anyone experienced 8500 X50 Ka band not working at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian
    I have a strong feeling the Ka band on my 8500 X50 rev 5 is not working, because it never goes off. I've had this detector since September 2005, and I cannot recall a single hit on Ka band. Has anyone else experienced this?

    POP, Laser, K, and X have all gone off. I drove by an accident the other day where six CHP were gathered, and the detector was silent. I find it hard to believe not one of them had their radar unit on. Last night I got on the freeway and I noticed I was 2 cars behind a CHP ... I followed him for 10 miles just to see if my detector would get a Ka hit and it never did (CHP use Ka, K, and Laser).

    I emailed Escort, and they replied that their "filters are the best in the business, the unit runs a diagnostic every 8-10 minutes," etc. etc.). I've had no "self cals" or "service required" on this one, and yes, Ka is turned on. I've even reset the unit a couple of times to be sure.

    I've had X50's before (this is literally my 5th since June 2004) and Ka always went off and in fact saved me from more than a few tickets. I'm starting to lose trust in this one. Thanks.

    -Obsidian-
    Check and see if you have disabled Ka band.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
  3. Is my 8500 x50 working properly??
    By bull8t in forum Escort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 08:29 AM
  4. Got my Bel 936 back and k band is working.
    By proudNMAmember in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
  5. Confirmed... My V1 is not working on K-Band
    By sidekick2 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •