Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Here's the RX-65 internals:

Here's the 8500 (non X50) internals:

Anyone want to take apart their X50?
    Jim

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    I will tell you of having owned bothj the V1 falses VERY little on Ka band compared to the X50.
    Well mine doesnt. Must be something in the air where you live.

Advanced Member

I have yet to get a Ka false on my 995 or when i had the RX-65 which my dad has now we both never expierenced a Ka False

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

I only get about 1-3 Ka falses a week with my V1 and I drive a lot of miles.
    Everyone I talk to gets about the same so it must be something in your air.
    If you have pre 97 guts in your V1 it will Ka false more.
    What year is your V1?

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I have heard stories about the Ka not going off sometimes until you are right on top of the cop. I have heard the X50 has more falsing on Ka band and it definitely loses to the V1 by at least 2 miles in rear Ka band detection according to the last SML test where they tested the rear radar detection. I know the V1 has larger antennas so it picks up radar better when it is off-axis I believe according to some reviewers.

The last SpeedZones test also didn't test for filtering, rear radar detection, or mention the fact that the Spetcre III testing could have been flawed because it overheated during testing. SpeedZones has good information but they claimed in 2003 that they don't choose winners but in 2004, they call the X50 the "Top Dog" so take everything with a grain of salt.
    I think you got your falses switch around on KA. My passport never falses on KA. I think thats a V1 thing. As far as detecting KA the V1 has better range.
    The v1 def falses more on KA, but usually it will redeem itself with the J function. I have seen the J feature countless times in the past few weeks.

Good Citizen

Default no evidence of poor ka range x50

So, I am concluding that there really is NO objective evidence of poor Ka range with the x50.....anyone have any evidence to the contrary??? (for forward facing radar that is).

Professional

Doh... the X50 internal pix i have are on a different computer which i won't have access to for a week... can anyone post X50 internal pix in the mean time? Worst case i'll post in about a week anyway 8)

Good Citizen

I took one of my X50's apart this weekend.

it looks identical to the 8500's internals except for a little white sticker on the motherboard that says X50 on it.

This is not a joke.

If you want pictures I can supply them. I am at work right now otherwise I would post some.

Lead Foot

Just because someone can eyeball the general likenesses of a component does not mean they are exactly the same. Sub-components will be different in the way they are supposed to perform and/or respond to certain voltages/signals/resistance, yada-yada. One RD may more sub-components and a different processing chip.

The RX65 and the X50 are 2 different units with many different sub-components. Take a good long look at the pics 'jimbonzzz' posted.

BTW-If you have a warranty and it's still in effect, I wouldn't go prying these units open, especially if you're lacking the technical training/skills.

Just a little friendly advice...

Old Timer

BTW-If you have a warranty and it's still in effect, I wouldn't go prying these units open, especially if you're lacking the technical training/skills.
    hahha I've been there