Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default x50 bashing....objective evidence?

There is quite a bit of x50 bashing here lately (spooks me because i have one)...and im willing to listen to any opinions. But, the ka range issue (please correct me if i am wrong) was not brought up as a problem with the Veil Guy's review. Is there really a problem with the ka rane compared to the v1??? Is V1 really better than the x50 on freeway?? Please correct me, but I just dont remember seeing this in the review from the veil guy.

Nor do I see evidence from speedzones test in 2004 of poor ka range.

Can anyone find objective evidence?

Speed Demon

I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I have heard stories about the Ka not going off sometimes until you are right on top of the cop. I have heard the X50 has more falsing on Ka band and it definitely loses to the V1 by at least 2 miles in rear Ka band detection according to the last SML test where they tested the rear radar detection. I know the V1 has larger antennas so it picks up radar better when it is off-axis I believe according to some reviewers.

The last SpeedZones test also didn't test for filtering, rear radar detection, or mention the fact that the Spetcre III testing could have been flawed because it overheated during testing. SpeedZones has good information but they claimed in 2003 that they don't choose winners but in 2004, they call the X50 the "Top Dog" so take everything with a grain of salt.

Old Timer

Well there is a difference from sitting a gun on a tripod at full blast and testing the range, and there is a difference between real-world experiances. To me, I do not believe that the X-band on the x50 falls short, I do not get where people get that at.

The KA range may depend on a lot of things. I have always never had a comfortable KA detection range. KA is apparently hard to pick up. However, with me going around triple digits, my x50 still saved me a ticket & jail time.

Good Citizen

Default regarding rear range

I concede that the rear range of the x50 is nearly comical. There is just very little to it.

I am more interested in the forward ka range. My first impression of the forward ka range was that the x50 was somewhat lacking and diminished in range. Now I think I am used to it.....but i also thought it was normal--due to the fact that I can not find any evidence/tests/reviews that says ka range is lower than anyone else.

Professional

when you compromise and make an excuse for 1 detecting feature, you are compromising the integrity of the entire unit.

pemarsh is driving down interstate 101 at 80 mph. he passes "xxxxx road" entrance ramp. A 1/2 mile after passing the entrance ramp, a patrol car enters onto the highway from the same ramp he passed. Turns on his Radar Gun and begins shooting radar while moving.

Pemarsh doesnt pick up the signal from behind.. and even if he did, which direction is the signal coming from?

So, to answer your question, is it better on the Freeway? Absolutely. It is better, period.

Newcomer

That's a really good point...it makes my own decision that much tougher.

Good Citizen

It is a good point. But I am not saying that one detector is better than the other.

All I am trying to find out is if there is any objective evidence that says the x50 has poor ka range forward. There are many subjective complaints about the x50 and ka range...but from reviews, I do not see it.

Professional

Strange... my real world tests (with video proof) show that the X50 reacts faster to photo radar than the V1, and presumably photo radar, being so weak, would be among the hardest to detect.

THere is a difference between just holding a radar towards the car and coming forward slowly (like in those radar tests), versus going 100Kmph towards the radar.

The reason is, is that a radar scans the entire KA band frequency every so often, plus there is a filtering "lag" where the microprocessor determines if it needs to alert. I have found, on the HIGHWAY mode on the X50, that it warns FASTER than the V1 when going any speed above about 50Kmph.

Perhaps someone with more engineering knowledge can reveal why this is, or the "reaction speed" of the detector?!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    The reason is, is that a radar scans the entire KA band frequency every so often, plus there is a filtering "lag" where the microprocessor determines if it needs to alert. I have found, on the HIGHWAY mode on the X50, that it warns FASTER than the V1 when going any speed above about 50Kmph.

Perhaps someone with more engineering knowledge can reveal why this is, or the "reaction speed" of the detector?!
    In many pre-pop detectors (at least higher end ones) the entire sweep only took 300ms. That is why they would miss the 67ms pop bursts. However, even pre-pop detectors have maybe a 1 in 4 chance of detecting pop, if they just happen to be scanning the pop freq at the exact same time of getting hit with pop.

Even pre-pop detectors, with the 300ms sweep, should alert to Ka radar in less than a second. I can tell you that from my tests on the bench, they indeed do: There is almost no lag time between when a Ka source is turned on, and the detector responds.

Any "delay" you are experiencing could be due to differences in the sensitivity of the detectors, range, mounting etc but it is a good bet that it isn't due to slow signal processing.

Some detectors (PNI) add a delay on purpose to cut down on falses, but none of the "big three" use that method (that I know of)...

Jim

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    THere is a difference between just holding a radar towards the car and coming forward slowly (like in those radar tests), versus going 100Kmph towards the radar.
    !
    Whoa, 100 000 mi/h! I don't even drive that fast

One simple solution to the rear radar problem...

A 4.6 litre Crown Victoria police car with lightbar has a top end speed of about 190km/h (118mi/h), or less depending on the aerodynamics of the lightbar. Without the bar the car will easily hit 220km/h. So just drive 225km/h (144mi/h) and you're home free! By the way, a 3,8 litre Impala will top out at 199km/h without the bar, and with the bar may hit only 190.

You will always get excellent range on X (11ghz), fair range on K (24.15ghz) and ****ty range on Ka (33 1/2 Ghz - 35ghz) simply because Ka is a "smaller" signal of higher frequency. It just doesn't carry as well.