Thread: Self-Cal

Newcomer

Default Self-Cal

I've had my x50 for a while and am wondering about what people said bout self cal errors. Does anyone know what can cause them? (I've heard about a serge of voltage, but I dont see how that would happen since the smart cord has a fuse in it anyways, doesnt it?) And what is the range that you guys normally pick up radar, and the place u mounted the detector. Also, does high or low temperature screw up the detector?

Lead Foot

Self Cal failure alerts usually occur following initial power up of the unit. Yes Self Cals occur more frequently in HOT weather. The detector can get so hot in the summer sun that you can hardly hold it in your hand....so best to take it out of the windshield when not in use. Also Self Cals can occur if your 12V socket switches ON/OFF when you attempt to start your car, especially if you have to crank the starter for several seconds, or if you have a whimpy alternator that gets so loaded down during starter cranking that it starves the unit for current.

If you've not seen Self Cals yet, you're probably doing OK and no reason to worry.

Power User

I've had one self cal with my current X50. It happened after I turned Ka band on after it had been off for a long time. Ever since the X50 went into self cal it has been performing well so far. It seems to pick up Ka a lot better than it did before.

Newcomer

thanks. but now i'm curious, what shuld i do if i do end up getting a self cal error.

Power User

If it only happens once I wouldn't be too concerned. If you see it more than once I would send it in to be checked.