Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default EBay X50 vs. Cobra

I am one of the few that bought an X50 from Ebay (before I found this site) and have actually had it work for about 8 months now. On my last trip we had three cars in a row with m X50 protecting us in front. The car behind me had a Cobra (one of the newer ones) when we came up on a tropper aiming constant on k. I was just wondering if at 75 mph about 3-5 seconds difference in picking up the signal is about right for the difference in the X50 and the Cobra's sensitivity at that speed (taking into account that he was behind me so it was actually 2-4 seconds earlier warning).

Radar Fanatic

I would think that the X50 should do better than that. If you came upon the LEO suddenly, like over a hill or around a sharp turn and he was right there, then sure. There wouldn't have been much signal to work with for either unit if the radar had been obscured. But if you had roughly line of sight then I would be a little more suspicious. It all depends on conditions. There's also the chance that the Cobra didn't actually alert and the guy behind you just slowed down because you did. That, if anything, is the most likely explanation.

Newcomer

Sorry I wasn't clear, but the guy behind me was a friend of ours and called and told us that he got an alert 3-5 seconds afterward. Also the LEO was facing us in the meridian, but behind a bunch of trees with snow on the ground. We couldn't see him until we were right on top of him because of the trees either.

Yoda of Radar

I would have to say that isnt on-par under most circumstances. The X50 actually excels greatly in K-band detection. If it was constant on (assuming it was) I would expect double digits (or above as far as advanced detection over him) in 95% of the cases.

That being said the X50 doesnt even like having Cobras even around it... (less then 25 feet) so the other persons Cobra could have been funkin with the X50.

An example my friend has a Cobra (forgot model #) and I was borrowing another friends X50.(This was last fall in a city about 45minutes away from mine). Well anycase my friend and I went through a 'Your Speed is Sign', he was way back from me because he got caught up at a Red light (he was like 2 minutes behind me).

Well the results were: I got a 1.2mile K-band warning and he got an .4mile K-band warning. No curves, just some pretty 'decent' elevation changes/hills in-between. You can see the speed sign at about .2-.3 miles up the road so he got about .2-.1 mile warning before site... I got about a mile before I could see the sign.

Anycase all circumstances are different but I wouldnt want an X50 with that K band detection.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    There's also the chance that the Cobra didn't actually alert and the guy behind you just slowed down because you did. That, if anything, is the most likely explanation.
    Yeah, I would also assume that to be the explination your friends Cobra didnt alert until right upon the LEO, but he was shattered that his RD wasn't up-to-par with yours so overplayed his alert.

Radar Fanatic

no you didnt!

comparing a Big 3/4 with a COBRA?!

Kidding!

the X50 should do much much better in K detection

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    There's also the chance that the Cobra didn't actually alert and the guy behind you just slowed down because you did. That, if anything, is the most likely explanation.
    Yeah, I would also assume that to be the explination your friends Cobra didnt alert until right upon the LEO, but he was shattered that his RD wasn't up-to-par with yours so overplayed his alert.
    Good point, he would be the type to do that sort of thing. And F_999, I would never do this with an X50 only an EBay X50 ( ops: ). I guess thats what I get for saving a few bucks. Only thing Im happy about is no Self Cal yet and its been like 8 months (knock on wood).

Yoda of Radar

Friends don't let friends drive with Cobras......

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by davekr

unless... you dont really like the other friend, and you think he deserves a ticket

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    Quote Originally Posted by davekr

unless... you dont really like the other friend, and you think he deserves a ticket
    I like you more and more everyday....