Power User

Default Self Cal Problems.. How you turn on/off ur RD?

I have noticed a lot of owners having this problem and i just wondered how you activate your RD. I also want to get some sensus as far as who leaves their RD turned on all the time but uses an accesory switch to turn it on/off and who turns their RD's on/off everytime they use it by manually turning the dial. My understanding is that, everytime you turn on by using the dial, it goes through a cycle and self calibrates it. Am i correct in saying that? When i turn on my RD, i only hear one beep with my setting on default and it's so quick and does not go through the cycle - i use a accessory switch for mine. If i turn POP on, i hear 2 beeps - don't use this because it falses more. By leaving the dial turned on all the time, my RD has a faster cycle time to get ready for action.

My question is this and maybe someone in this board can do a poll for me regarding this issue.

1. How many X50 users have a self cal problem who everytime turns on/off their unit by using the dial? - goes through the whole cycle to get to ready mode.

2. How many X50 users have a self cal problem who everytime turns on/off their unit by using an accessory switch with their dial turned on at all times at preset level? This is what i am doing since i bought mine and i have no issues so far with mine.

The problem maybe really from the unit itself but i just wondered if this has to do something about it since most users i've read have self cal message problems or freezing problems and IMO, this only happens when you turn on the RD by using the dial. I can be wrong here but it's a good start for some discussion.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Self Cal Problems.. How you turn on/off ur RD?

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    IMO, this only happens when you turn on the RD by using the dial.
    Actually it seems as if that is opposite to what is really true. It seems that many X50's (especially the older Revs) really had a problem because the surge caused by leaving it plugged into the car and turned on everytime the car is started (when a cars electrical system is at its most 'unstable' point).

Power User

Default Re: Self Cal Problems.. How you turn on/off ur RD?

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    IMO, this only happens when you turn on the RD by using the dial.
    Actually it seems as if that is opposite to what is really true. It seems that many X50's (especially the older Revs) really had a problem because the surge caused by leaving it plugged into the car and turned on everytime the car is started (when a cars electrical system is at its most 'unstable' point).
    I'm not talking about the surge here. I'm talking about the cycling to where the unit shows the text display from point A to point B before it goes to the ready mode- most belcorts unit do this unless the unit is turn on all the time. If you have the X50 and turn the dial on, you'll know what i'm talking about. I turn the switch on on mine after the engine starts using an accessory switch.

Yoda of Radar

Yea I have an X50, and I have no clue what your saying pretty much because:

You said:

When i turn on my RD, i only hear one beep with my setting on default and it's so quick and does not go through the cycle. By leaving the dial turned on all the time, my RD has a faster cycle time to get ready for action.
    That is not the default 'Power-on Sequence' as you say, that is the 'Power-On Sequence' set to 'FST'(fast), so that is why you get a "faster cycle" as you say... and it wont matter what way you turn it on (or it doesnt for me)... my power-on sequence follows the STD or FST, regardless of the way it is turned on.

Also you say it has a faster cycle time to get ready for action...thats not really making sense either? I turn the X50 on (in STD Power-on Sequence) when I am coming out of my driveway and by the time I get to the road... its already, ready for 'action'.

(I must be misunderstanding you, or your mistyping something... because something isnt making sense).

Power User

You said:

When i turn on my RD, i only hear one beep with my setting on default and it's so quick and does not go through the cycle. By leaving the dial turned on all the time, my RD has a faster cycle time to get ready for action.
    That is not the default 'Power-on Sequence' as you say, that is the 'Power-On Sequence' set to 'FST'(fast), so that is why you get a "faster cycle" as you say... and it wont matter what way you turn it on (or it doesnt for me)... my power-on sequence follows the STD or FST, regardless of the way it is turned on.

Also you say it has a faster cycle time to get ready for action...thats not really making sense either? I turn the X50 on (in STD Power-on Sequence) when I am coming out of my driveway and by the time I get to the road... its already, ready for 'action'.

(I must be misunderstanding you, or your mistyping something... because something isnt making sense).
    I checked my X50 setting and you are right with the power sequence set to fast and i have to correct that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yoda of Radar

You said:

I checked my X50 setting and you are right with the power sequence set to fast and i have to correct that. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Hey no problem man, I just felt something wasnt making sense when I was reading the post.

Lead Foot

I turn mine on and off with the rotary button. Fortunately on my car the accessory/cigarette lighter is always on and the electrical system is well filtered. I am unable to get an RPM reading via the socket from my Gtech Pro unless I introduce a significant load (i.e. turn EVERYTHING on, defroster, air, radio, etc).