Default Upgrade laser diodes on ZR4/9500ci

I'm now learning that the ZR4/9500ci doesn't do a very good job of jamming Lidar. LEO in my area seem to have mostly switched to lidar, so I need to get a better lidar jammer.

Is the ZR4/9500ci's lidar jamming weakness because of the laser diodes or is it something in the CPU?

I think the CPU has to be able to generate laser pulses that correspond to the lidar gun's pulses. So maybe upgrading the laser diodes won't help much.

Does the laser-interceptor have more powerful diodes anyway?

Default Re: Upgrade laser diodes on ZR4/9500ci

It sounds like the Laser-Interceptor can jam any lidar, but doesn't do radar. While the 9500ci does a great job with radar and a poor job with lidar. Also, I already spent ~$2000 on the 9500ci+installation+warranty a year ago. It would be a nice extra to have radar dection too.

Given those factors, it would be great if I could use both systems. Will they work well together?

Whats my best option?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragon View Post
    I'm now learning that the ZR4/9500ci doesn't do a very good job of jamming Lidar. LEO in my area seem to have mostly switched to lidar, so I need to get a better lidar jammer.

Is the ZR4/9500ci's lidar jamming weakness because of the laser diodes or is it something in the CPU?
    A little of both. The ZR4s use LEDs, not the much more powerful laser diodes. The laser gun will recognize the more powerful signal between the laser gun's reflection and the laser jammer's output. The ZR4s CPU doesn't have a lookup table of known guns, but rather does it's best to match whatever pulse rate it has detected, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

I think the CPU has to be able to generate laser pulses that correspond to the lidar gun's pulses. So maybe upgrading the laser diodes won't help much.
    Actually, there was a member here that upgraded his LEDs to more powerful ones and his ZR4s performed noticeably better than stock.

Does the laser-interceptor have more powerful diodes anyway?
    Much more powerful. The ZR4s use a bank of seven(might be six) LEDs as opposed to the LIs single laser diode.

It sounds like the Laser-Interceptor can jam any lidar, but doesn't do radar. While the 9500ci does a great job with radar and a poor job with lidar. Also, I already spent ~$2000 on the 9500ci+installation+warranty a year ago. It would be a nice extra to have radar dection too.

Given those factors, it would be great if I could use both systems. Will they work well together?
    They will. Just put the 9500ci in receive only mode and let the LIs do the laser jamming.

Whats my best option?
    Your best option is what many members use, a Bel STi-R Plus, which is the best radar detector on the market and Laser Interceptors for laser defense. I sold my 9500ci on eBay and upgraded to the Bel STi-R Plus and LIs.

It sounds like the 9500ci is still a really good radar detector. LEO in my area seem to mostly use laser now. So I think I'll keep using my 9500ci for radar, but I will get the LI for laser which is what I really need (if I had known all this before I bought the 9500ci I don't think I would have).

My car is a silver mustang, large curved hood with flat headlights, foglights and tail lights. How many diodes do you think I need? 2 front? 2 front + 1 rear?

What's the best placement? Below the front bumper and above the rear license plate?

I may have to install this myself which is well beyond anything I've done before. The only shop in my area sells the 9500ci and I don't know if they would install an LI for me.

Does VEIL coating work?

From GuysofLidar.com testing in 2008, it seems to make a difference and its not real expensive. I was thinking of putting it on my front and rear lights in addition to the LI.