Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Howdy from Victorville CA

Hi Guys,

This year for my birthday, I asked for a Radar detector for my gift. I drive from Victorville to Santa Monica each day for work. That is 200 miles round trip. I have been averaging about three tickets a year and it is killing me. It is not that I try to speed, but the average speed of traffic is usually around 80 and with me on the road so much it seems like it is just a matter of time before it is me who is in front of a cruiser.

Anyway, my loving wife bought me a Passport 8500 X50. Now I want to learn how to get the best results from it. I will be reading through the threads on this forum but if you have some basic tips for me now, it will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings, Terry

snoopyc4

Default Re: Howdy from Victorville CA

Welcome to the forum. The X50 is a great radar detector. Mount it high next to your RVM. Keep in mind though that your RD will not save you from police laser. By the time your RD, goes off, the officer will already have your speed. If laser is used in your area, I strongly recommend you get a laser jammer since you seem to pile on tickets pretty easily.

Welcome Victorville!

When I was a kid we usually would eat dinner at the Green Tree Inn on the way up to Vegas to see relatives. The Green Tree has a warm place in my heart.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by still4given View Post
    Hi Guys,

This year for my birthday, I asked for a Radar detector for my gift. I drive from Victorville to Santa Monica each day for work.
    HOLY F**KOLY! ARE YOU F**KING NUTS?!?! I'm sorry, but no job is worth that kind of brutality!

Quote Originally Posted by still4given View Post
    That is 200 miles round trip. I have been averaging about three tickets a year and it is killing me. It is not that I try to speed, but the average speed of traffic is usually around 80 and with me on the road so much it seems like it is just a matter of time before it is me who is in front of a cruiser.

Anyway, my loving wife bought me a Passport 8500 X50. Now I want to learn how to get the best results from it. I will be reading through the threads on this forum but if you have some basic tips for me now, it will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings, Terry
    Hardwire it high and get a laser jammer. CHP is moving more and more to laser and your X50 will be nothing more than a ticket notification device if you get tagged by laser.

Old Timer

welcome! my evo is from victorville mitsu!

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    ...Hardwire it high and get a laser jammer. CHP is moving more and more to laser and your X50 will be nothing more than a ticket notification device if you get tagged by laser.
    X2. The I highly recommend the new Blinder M27/M47 J17 units which I recently had the opportunity to test. The cost of these new Blinders won't break the bank yet their performance is superb.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    ...Hardwire it high and get a laser jammer. CHP is moving more and more to laser and your X50 will be nothing more than a ticket notification device if you get tagged by laser.
    X2. The I highly recommend the new Blinder M27/M47 J17 units which I recently had the opportunity to test. The cost of these new Blinders won't break the bank yet their performance is superb.
    I, on the other hand, do not recommend that you buy the new Blinder M27/M47. At least, not yet. At this point, the only Blinder M27/M47 unit(s) that have been tested have been hand delivered by a Blinder rep to whomever was testing it. I suggest you wait until a few retail Blinder M27/M47 units have been tested and perform at the level that we've seen so far in testing.

Professional

Indeed the new blinders sound promising...But if you need proven performance right now, Laser Interceptor would be good.

I, on the other hand, do not recommend that you buy the new Blinder M27/M47. At least, not yet. At this point, the only Blinder M27/M47 unit(s) that have been tested have been hand delivered by a Blinder rep to whomever was testing it. I suggest you wait until a few retail Blinder M27/M47 units have been tested and perform at the level that we've seen so far in testing.
    I disagree. Both Leon and Micah know that if they had sent the Atlanta Group a souped up unit and that later test results performed by us or others didn't measure up, then Blinder would never be able to live that down. I seriously doubt that they would shoot themselves in the foot like that. Besides, in less than two weeks I will be looking inside an independently ordered production unit to see if the production design is indeed what I think it is. I won't disclose details, but I will sign off on it if I think that the design is optimal from an optical raytrace, component selection, and engineering standpoint.

Yoda of Radar

Both Leon and Micah know that if they had sent the Atlanta Group a souped up unit and that later test results performed by us or others didn't measure up, then Blinder would never be able to live that down. I seriously doubt that they would shoot themselves in the foot like that.
    I don't think anyone seriously doubts that. I certainly do not. But they regrouped and re-tweaked after the J17 test, resulting in a new product. And if they found any reason to do so, I would expect that they would do the same on this one. So the fact must remain that there is always the possibility that whatever is fixin to hit the streets is not what you tested. It's not a matter of souped prototypes so much as it is a matter of the possibility of honest and legitimate change. Anything they do, whether it be a newer lens or diode from a new manufacturer, to simple parking software changes, can ultimately and unintentionally change everything.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob