Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post

Good Citizen

Smile First post

Hi folks.

This is an interesting site for me because I have had an interest in radar detectors for many years. However, I realize some may think I'm just saying this, but I'm not really much of a speeder at all. My problem is I live in the hills and have to travel many miles to reach the big city where the few jobs are. So in this part of the country one sees a lot of radar detectors and tons of cars and pickup trucks using CB channel 19 for use on the interstates.

I have owned about a dozen radar detectors in the past, starting out with and old school Fuzzbuster X band box in the early 1980s. I bought a V1 in 2003 and just had it upgraded this week. So far I'm still testing the new upgrade on the V1. I find that I use this thing mainly because I love technology. But if I find I have a reason, say a medical issue, or my job is on the line and I'm late, I will do whatever I need to do as safely as I can. Otherwise I'm happy my state now has a 70MPH speed limit, as this is fine for many drivers here. Nevertheless I rarely ever drive without my radar detector, even when I'm not in a hurry.

Glad to find this site!

My best.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Smile Re: First post

Welcome to the Forum

Nice to see another loyal V-1 enthusiast . . .
    I also live rural and make frequent trips to populated areas, the V-1 is the ideal companion . . without mine, I'm uneasy

(the forum Search function is a great research tool)

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: First post

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    However, I realize some may think I'm just saying this, but I'm not really much of a speeder at all.
    This is not as unusual as you might think. There are quite a few members here that say basically the same as you do. I however, am not one of those.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    However, I realize some may think I'm just saying this, but I'm not really much of a speeder at all.
    This is not as unusual as you might think. There are quite a few members here that say basically the same as you do. I however, am not one of those.
    That's a good point. Because of all the really dishonest speed traps that exist anyone might benefit from a RD. In the city out west where we live during the year, there's an entrance to the freeway which is closely monitored. The first thing you see is a 75 mph speed limit sign, but where you actually enter is still a 60 so they make a lot of money there. Most of the plates seem to be out of state so I'll bet they don't hang around to contest the ticket. The really dishonest thing is that normally, when you enter one large artery from another, the SL is posted right away. So, to protect oneself from this kind of blatant revenue grab/illegal tax, anyone would be wise to consider a RD.

Good Citizen

Smile Re: First post

Thanks for being so nice about things. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way, because a lot of people think I'm a little crazy for ALWAYS using a radar detector, even for short drives in the city when I'm not speeding. I guess I figure I bought the darn thing so why not use it?

Good Citizen

Thanks for being so nice about things. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way, because a lot of people think I'm a little crazy for ALWAYS using a radar detector, even for short drives in the city when I'm not speeding. I guess I figure I bought the darn thing so why not use it?
    im the same way as well, but i have it hard wired to turn on when the car does. lol

as for the speeding thing, im not really a big speeder, i just drive around 85-90 on the highway which is slow compared to other traffic, but fast enough to cops.

Newcomer

Same here. In my state the max speed is 65 on rural interstates and 55 on 2-lane highways, which is overly restrictive especially on long stretches of empty roads designed for higher speeds.

snoopyc4

Welcome to the forum

Radar Fanatic

Welcome, the V1 is a nice detector.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Route101 View Post
    Same here. In my state the max speed is 65 on rural interstates and 55 on 2-lane highways, which is overly restrictive especially on long stretches of empty roads designed for higher speeds.
    Yup, the Basic Rule; which especially applies to roads with no Speed Limit signs

Welcome to the Forum

It would seem that we are neighbors . . .