Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default New member from PA!

Greetings from the land of K-Band !

I've been lurking here for a while. I just bit the bullet and upgraded my Valentine 1, and when I say upgrade, I mean "received a $100 discount on a new unit because mine was so old". I've dabbled in detectors for years; an old Cobra in the mid-late 80s, and a Whistler to replace that in around 1991. In 1993 I received a V-1 from my parents as an unexpected Christmas present, and have been using it faithfully ever since. Countless "saves" later, I can confidently state that it has saved me thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, I lost track of the whole countermeasure scene, and didn't pay much attention to advances in the technology - on either side. Living in Western PA has its advantages - the technology hasn't changed a lot in 16 years, but it continues to evolve in the border states where I travel frequently, so after purchasing a new vehicle recently, I started thinking about countermeasures again, found this site, and started to research my options. There are a LOT of good choices out there these days, and I was tempted by a number of other brands. In the end, being able to upgrade to the latest version of my faithful V-1 for $300 was too enticing, and my new detector arrived yesterday.

I look forward to learning more about programming and techniques/strategies here. My next venture will likely be laser countermeasures: possibly a Blinder. I would also like to pick up a Whistler SE series for my wife's car, and compare it to my V-1. They seemed pretty nice for the money.

Moment, I will be looking for someone to run power out of my RVM for a better mount. I'm not big on DIY when it comes to my car. If anyone knows of a good installer in the Southwestern PA area, I would appreciate it. I'll be searching the site for info as well.

Cheers !

Old Timer

Default Re: New member from PA!

welcome

snoopyc4

Welcome to the forum. I believe ENRADD is used in Penn so watch out. Any questions or concerns about your V1? Blinder is a good laser jammer system. Also look into Laser Interceptor. What vehicle do you drive?

Old Timer

yea i forgot to mention enradd up above....and yea i believe psp is supposedly testing out Ka but idk...and yea unless u go into ohio(u live in western PA but idk how much u go to ohio)/nj u dont rele ned jammers in PA

Power User

They also like VASCAR.

Mobile Installer

welcome
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Radar Fanatic

Welcome to the forum.

Newcomer

Thanks for the welcome!

They LOVE VASCAR around here. The only tickets I've received since I got the V1 in '93 were VASCAR related. Its all they use locally; municipalities don't have much choice. Trapster helps some these days. Not too much ENRADD around here to my knowledge, but I haven't been paying much attention. I don't exceed the PSL much locally, and I have always used a rabbit with my detector. I'm generally a 10-15MPH over kind of guy anyway; not looking to set land speed records these days. I really just like to go with the flow of traffic, but when that flow is over the PSL, I like to have some protection

I do venture into OH and WV frequently. I travel into MD and the DC area a bit as well; VA is always a challenge. If I start spending more time there, I may have to consider a Spectre solution.

Not too many questions or concerns on the V1 at this point. I used it for 15+ years, but I never did program it. I found some links that explain the settings, and I might post in the V1 forum to see what people are using in western PA/OH/WV. I know I want the K auto-mute functionality, but I want it to start barking over 4. I think that has been covered here.

In other news, I found a reputable shop that said he'd do a RVM hard mount (under) for $50. He's done them before and thought it would be easy. I'd rather pay the 50 than start tearing things apart myself - almost seems like a bargain

Yoda of Radar

What exactly do you mean by RVM hard mount? Are you talking about hanging the detector from the RVM, just putting it up near the RVM, or wiring it to the RVM for power, or what?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Professional

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian.