Thread: Newb here

Newcomer

Default Newb here

Hello, My first post.
    I currently do not own any radar detectors or laser jammers. That is why I am here, im looking for information to help me select the best combo for my needs.
    I live in Calgary, AB, i drive a 2000 GTI, and I only have room for 1 more demerit point...

Professional

Default Re: Newb here

Welcome to the forum

Professional

Welcome to the forum. Do you venture into provinces where radars detectors are illegal? Do you see mostly radar or laser enforcement? What do you drive? What is your budget for countermeasures?

The valentine one is a very solid, proven radar detector that I would strongly suggest you look at. But its $400, its not electronically stealthy, and despite excellent laser detection cannot save you from a laser ticket in 99.9% of the cases (nor can any radar detector).

Newcomer

I am still doing my research.. GOL is telling me that the Valentine and the LI are my best bet. If im gona do it i better do it right. right?

But laserjammertests.com seems to say laser star is the way to go. they also go into why LI is bad, water leaking, as well as a lawsuit against them which if won could mean no updates.
    One thing that is important to me is not so much "stealthy" as "stock looking", i like my dash looking oem.

I dont drive out of province often.. Alberta/BC (radar/laser friendly)

But i do drive highway fairly often, which is why i might have to live with the valentine hanging from my windshield.

Does anyone who drives a CAR ever mount more then 2 sensors on the front of their car?

Lead Foot

Do not believe any test results that you do not read on this forum, bottom line. GOL are the golden standard for any independent testing. Other testing done in Houston, Georgia and Central Florida all provide good results to base your purchase off of. Laser Star is a joke. The best setup you could have in Canada would be a LI quad or Blinder M27 for laser protection and a remote mounted radar detector (STi-R would be the best since it cannot be detected by RDDs, which I assume are activly used in Canada). A V1 is the best, but it can be detected by RDDs, STi-R or 9500ci is the way to go.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdoe View Post
    But laserjammertests.com seems to say laser star is the way to go. they also go into why LI is bad, water leaking, as well as a lawsuit against them which if won could mean no updates.
    That website isn't a testing site. It's a selling site. They sell LaserStar, and will say anything to do so. We don't sell anything. We use everything.

One thing that is important to me is not so much "stealthy" as "stock looking", i like my dash looking oem.
    There are no countermeasures that should be on your dash. Radar detectors are best located as high as possible, which usually means behind the tint strip on your windshield or on the visor. Any lower is fail.

Does anyone who drives a CAR ever mount more then 2 sensors on the front of their car?
    We've got one guy here with 9 jammer heads on the front of his Honda. But that's not common, nor is it necessary. Two LI heads properly mounted on your car should provide all the protection you need. Although, looking at GTI pics, your mounting options are limited, and you may need to go with a layer of Veil on those huge headlights for off-axis protection.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob