Default Road Trip New CM Setup

Hello Everyone,

Going to be driving the west coast for Christmas, 3000 mile round trip. Gonna need protection as last time I got a $400 ticket doing 100! Ouch!

Here is what I am looking at for my car which BTW is a Blue 2006 Subaru Wrx Wagon:

Radar: Valentine One 1.8
    Laser: Blinder M27/Laser Interceptor Dual
    GPS: C50 OR POI Downloaded to GPS Nav
    CB: Radio Shack TRC-503 w/ 4' Antenna

The radar detector is a done deal, already ordered it. The rest I am still deciding on.

I am leaning towards the Laser Interceptor but I think the Blinder 27 might be adequate for my application. I know the rear will be unprotected but I just can't afford both right now. Plus the rear on my car is a BIG target...

My main point of contention is the GPS unit. I like the new C50 but long term I want this all to integrate to a carputer. If I were to purchase the lifetime membership for the Cheetah would that allow me access to the Trinity database and download the POI coordinates to my own GPS? If not is there anyway to just buy the database access?

The CB is pretty much a space decision, it is the only unit I could find that would fit in my center console, decent reviews as well.

Opinion/Advice/Questions all Welcome!

Thank you to everyone for these forums, it has been a wonderful week lurking around.
    Last edited by wumba; 11-12-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Default Re: Road Trip New CM Setup

Yea I actually like that Uniden unit a lot it is just a little bit too big for the space I am trying to fit it in. The Radio Shack unit is 3.9" wide just right for my 4" space.

Advanced Member
    Southern MA

As far as your question with Cheetah or GPS POI's To gain access to the Cheetah database you need to use a Cheetah unit like the c50, c100, or GPS Mirror. Cheetah doesn't offer a POI database available to all GPS's to down load as that would make it easily for any body to steal their camera location database which is far superior to any other database around. One suggestion is load Trapster POI's on your GPS to try it out. If you only load the medium and above threshold traps and camera that will cut down on a significant amount of false alerts. Personally I have all usual police hiding spots loaded on my GPS as I perfer to be very alert to my surroundings and just load the highest threshold cameras as I count on my Cheetah C100 to give me the definite camera alerts

A V1 along with either a Blinder M27 or LI dual will be enough to cover the front of your vehicle it all comes down on how much you want to spend. With either of those jammers you are able to purchase additional heads to add rear protection

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar
    Dallas, Texas

I looked for some kind of database to integrate with my existing GPS mapping, but found nothing. Trapster is too randomly accurate for my tastes, and it's just not a good idea to be dicking with your phone while driving anyhow. I went with the Cheetah GPS Mirror. It is the best solution for the V1 user, in my opinion. The subscription is lifetime. It integrates with the V1 to give you a lot of programming options to cut down on radar falsing. Gives your V1 voice alerts. Pricey, but definitely the best way to go with GPS.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob