Default Hello from Calgary, AB

This is my first post here
    Very nice forum with plenty of information with the help of the search button heh

I was living in Northern Alberta, got my first speeding ticket on a non-major route highway working construction driving 140 KM there and back each day paving highways.
    Was 130 km/hr while passing someone in a 100 km/hr Zone
    Not Much I could say to him

Got a Valentine One Radar Detector after weeks of research and looking at tests
    Ending up getting version 3.864, just below the most current version directly from Valentine Research.

The Detector has saved me countless times doing 10-15 over PSL on major highways for the last year, rough estimate I would say is $2000-3000
    I moved to Calgary recently for the last year, and its been crazy in regards to Photo Radar signs, Photo Vans, New Red Light Intersections with Speed Cameras.
    Avoided tickets here since till the last day

I got caught with a LIDAR in the Beddington Trail NW heading South Bound Above Stoney Trail last week.
    He was hiding on the Corner by Hidden Valley Link and Beddington Trail
    I won't lie, I was doing my usual 10-15 km/hr coming off the exit ramp to beddington due to traffic leaving the lights 100 FT behind me and I wanted to stay ahead because I had to cross 4 Lanes of Traffic with Exit lane to head for the PetroCan for Gas.

Sure Enough, I didn't have any Veil at the time applied. Had some since last year, the new G4 Stuff.
    Valentine One goes Nuts as soon as I make it over the last lane to the exit lane on the other side, I knew I was screwed instantly.
    Pull over, not to worried about a 2 Demerit Point Ticket.

Office pulls me over with his night baton stuff and steps out in 4 Lanes of traffic to cut me off and pull me over, gives me a ticket for 80 km/hr in a 60 km/hr Zone.
    I ask that isn't possible, I was doing 70-75 Tops, your gun is broken
    He tells me to fight it in court, boom went after the next guy.

I parked there for half hour watching him, he has no tripod setup at all, using his hand to hold it. Pulling over people on a record basis.
    I go decide to check my Speedometer against his reading, check it with my Iphone 3G Speed App I got. At 80 km/hr, my Speedometer is out 3-4 km/hr.
    Tested multiple times, then a pickup truck, speedometer matched my phone the whole way.
    Tells me the officer gave me a larger ticket than I should have got, increased the Demerits to 3. Not to happy about this, tells me just how dirty the Calgary Police Service is when it comes to giving out Tickets.
    Think I will start calling them the Calgary Revenue Service cause they sure aren't doing their jobs lying on tickets and adding KM to it for more money to give to the City of Calgary cause their budget isn't what it used to be, so crack down on speeders usual BS.

Anyways, that my intro to the forum
    Long read but had to vent a bit about it, still pissed and undecided yet if im fighting this ticket or paying it, cause I know LIDAR tickets are a real hard thing to argue and beat in court compared to radar.

Have a good one
    Total_War

Newcomer

Default Re: Hello from Calgary, AB

That sucks how you got your last ticket, I would not be happy at all. You may have a chance at fighting that one, depends what you value your time at, I probably would just pay it. You might want to look into a laser jammer in addition to the V1.

I had no idea there was a speed app for the iphone 3g, makes me want to upgrade my first gen iphone just so I can have the gps one it. lol

Yea
    I'm still talking with the Ticket Lawyer Companies in Calgary
    Getting a bunch of different prices, what they can do, ETC ETC
    The Iphone 3G App I used to Check my Speedometer is called SpeedBox, its Free and seems to be the most accurate that I have used.

What does everyone else think???
    Do I have a chance in court to fight this>?
    Or should I just pay it, because im finally hitting the age in Alberta where you get the BREAKS insurance wise, even with my clean record as it is, have no tickets or accidents for 5 Years till last week, still haven't paid ticket.
    In Calgary alone, Costs me 180 PER Month for PL PD, Ridiculous imo for a 93 Vehicle thats basically a tent on wheels.
    Last edited by Total_War; 11-22-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_War View Post
    Yea
    I'm still talking with the Ticket Lawyer Companies in Calgary
    Getting a bunch of different prices, what they can do, ETC ETC
    The Iphone 3G App I used to Check my Speedometer is called SpeedBox, its Free and seems to be the most accurate that I have used.

What does everyone else think???
    Do I have a chance in court to fight this>?
    Or should I just pay it, because im finally hitting the age in Alberta where you get the BREAKS insurance wise, even with my clean record as it is, have no tickets or accidents for 5 Years till last week, still haven't paid ticket.
    In Calgary alone, Costs me 180 PER Month for PL PD, Ridiculous imo for a 93 Vehicle thats basically a tent on wheels.
    Total War , your nick is right ...it is war on road .

Plead not guilty , ask for proof divulgation , then from there you can
    decide which way to go .... fight or pay .

Now you know you need effective laser protection ...
    Si vis pacem , parabellum
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Newcomer

Yep Cops Lie in Calgs - I always fight my tickets and they just out-and-out bald-faced LIE, and guess what? The Judge will ALWAYS take their word over yours and any proof you may have. It didn't used to be that way...

Who do ya think's payin' for that ring road? Thank heavens the Injuns turned down the 4 Billion cash plus 2:1 land swap for that portion. That's a lot of tickeys...

I'd still try to fight it, of course, and if you have some evidence and make a reasonable case, who knows you might be the 1 lucky guy that week - or maybe the cop won't show up - although I have not had much luck with that recently either.

Well
    I have someone handling my case already
    Save me the hastle of it.
    He said he will get it down to no dermits, pay the fine

The officer in mind who gave me the ticket, first thing the lawyer said was yea, he's a machine, pretty much speeding ticket machine. Dealt with him lots.
    Should be interesting how this goes. Took me a long time to pick a company that is cream of the crop as you say.

Let you guys know the outcome, trial is tomorrow
    Hoping the weather is just pure crap to be honest again, see if he makes it to court on time lol

Speed Demon

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.