Thread: New from CA

Default New from CA

Got a new cobra esd 7400 for $30 last weekend, my first detector, and now I'm hearing cobra is awful from you guys, so what should I get instead?

And why is it so awful? It has saved me a couple time already (though, it was only like a 30 ft warning).

Also, is X-band used at all in California anymore?

thanks

EDIT - the save was in a city, he was about a block or two down the road, he hadn't seen me yet.
    Last edited by fatjoe27; 11-30-2009 at 03:26 PM.

snoopyc4

Default Re: New from CA

Welcome to the forum. 30 ft isn't enough time to slow down. The officer already had your speed so I wouldn't call your encounter a save. Cobras suck simply because they don;t give the driver enough time to slow down. Return the Cobra before you get a ticket. How much are you looking to spend on your next RD?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by fatjoe27 View Post
    Got a new cobra esd 7400 for $30 last weekend, my first detector, and now I'm hearing cobra is awful from you guys, so what should I get instead?

And why is it so awful? It has saved me a couple time already (though, it was only like a 30 ft warning).

Also, is X-band used at all in California anymore?

thanks
    Refurbished 8500

You weren't going fast enough. 30ft? That's in the same neighborhood as RMR. Some LEO's give 15mph over the limit before they'll even think about it. You need at least 1000 feet of warning. I don't think there is any X in CA.

Well, i spent $30 on this one and it was a "why not" decision. I'm not a frequent speeder, i'll do like 80 on a 70mph highway, sometimes 90 to pass. How much does it cost to get a reasonably decent one?

I say it was a save, because i was driving in a city, the cop was 2 blocks ahead of me, on a cross street so i couldn't see him (he would have only seen me just as i passed the intersection), he ended up pulling out behind me, but i had slowed down by then. I got a cell phone ticket in that same spot last month.
    Last edited by fatjoe27; 11-30-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Speed Demon

A good RD is at least 150-200 bucks.

If you only speed by 10 over limit you don't really need one.