Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings!

Default Greetings!

Greetings everybody! I'm a new member who has a Cobra Detector (don't know which model - was given to me by one of my roommates who thought it was defective). I use my detector for when I'm speeding on the highways primarily.

I decided to register on here to get more information about radar detectors as well as information for hardwiring my detector into my car so I can free up my aux power outlet.

Right now I'm in Washington state, about a couple hours away from the Canadian border on the I-5 corridor. Before moving back here in November, I was in San Antonio, TX for over 3 years.

Hope to be posting here for months to come

Professional

Default Re: Greetings!

Welcome aboard. Would you really trust your driving record to a potentially defective Cobra?

If you do some research on this site, you will find Cobra's are not highly regarded. Mainly due to poor performance, overhyped marketing BS (16 band or whatever) and they cause false alerts on the much more effective radar detectors. So for the greater good of the community and your driving record, I suggest you turn your cobra into a paper-weight and get something much more effective. (Maybe your friend was partially correct, its not defective it just doesn't work)

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
    Welcome aboard. Would you really trust your driving record to a potentially defective Cobra?

If you do some research on this site, you will find Cobra's are not highly regarded. Mainly due to poor performance, overhyped marketing BS (16 band or whatever) and they cause false alerts on the much more effective radar detectors. So for the greater good of the community and your driving record, I suggest you turn your cobra into a paper-weight and get something much more effective. (Maybe your friend was partially correct, its not defective it just doesn't work)
    I plan on getting another on later on in the year when I get into doing some performance modifications to my car - right now I'm only using it as a general tool and not the primary way to gauge if I'm going to speed in an area or not (Washington State Patrol is cracking down on speeders big time these days).

In terms of the unit being defective, it was mostly because he thought the display was broken on it. Apparently the dim settings was limiting the display to only outputting the lower portion... so after switching it to the normal display dimming setting, everything shows up.

I appreciate the welcome and I'll be sure to take a look at everything on the site

Mobile Installer

welcome to the forum.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Yoda of Radar

WSP primarily uses laser for speed enforcement, which no RD can consistently protect you against. If your Cobra alerts to laser, you've been tagged and are about to be pulled over, assuming you were travelling at a speed that is higher than the LEO's threshhold.

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    WSP primarily uses laser for speed enforcement, which no RD can consistently protect you against. If your Cobra alerts to laser, you've been tagged and are about to be pulled over, assuming you were travelling at a speed that is higher than the LEO's threshhold.
    Aye - I haven't been pulled over for speed yet (though I got pulled over for my tailights last week) - though I've been hit consistently by the city and county LEOs near where I live. I travel from Skagit to King counties regularly so I get the gamut of everything.

I'm already planning on getting a laser jammer in addition to a better detector, just going to wait for later on in the year to do so. Appreciate the welcome

Advanced Member

Welcome! This is where I learn things everday about RDs!

Power User

Welcome to the forum. I would highly suggest getting a better detector and laser jammer.

Power User

Welcome to our forum, and btw allot of people start out w/cobras. No worries though just upgrade when funds allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Akosikojak View Post
    Welcome to our forum, and btw allot of people start out w/cobras. No worries though just upgrade when funds allow.
    Thanks And yeah, it's the cheapest one around, and for me, I got it (Cobra XRS 9340) for free. So I think that's an awesome deal