Good Citizen

Default Hello From Wisconsin

Hi there. I am located in central wisconsin and am a newcomer to the whole radar detector world. Im looking for a radar detector to outfit my 1999 vw passat that just turned over 163k.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hello From Wisconsin

Welcome.

Officers run the gamut of devices behind the cheddar curtain. Threats you'll need to cover range from X-band in rural small towns, K and Ka (stationary and moving: constant and instant on) band in many towns and counties, to Ka Stalker Duals by WSP, additionally many departments run Kustom signals ProLaserIII, LTi Ultralyte 2020, LTi TruSpeed, Laser Atlanta SpeedLasers and the Kustom Signals ProLite +; there is also airborne VASCAR run by the WSP planes on US41, and I'd assume elsewhere in the state as well.

You can search around here for the rest of the information that'll apply to you. There is no one champion detector, just many great ones that do slightly different things, choose the one that is best for your driving.

Power User

It looks like Motor On pretty much gave you the whole shabam on what your state uses. Search around before posting and good luck getting your new radar detector and jammers.

Mobile Installer

welcome.

Power User

Welcome to the forum. I used to be in WI and yes, they pretty much run all types of devices there. Good thing they pretty much such at catching speeders (for the most part).

Power User

Welcome to our forum

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I used to be in WI and yes, they pretty much run all types of devices there. Good thing they pretty much such at catching speeders (for the most part).
    Yeah you are correct about the catching part for sure! I drive a blacked out passat with performance exhaust and a loud ass stereo, but knock on wood I have never been pulled over. I have indeed had cops follow me to my house but then just keep going. lol On my way to madison one day, I was coming over a hill and a leo was sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun strapped to his mirror! Thats the first I have ever seen that.

Good Citizen

Okay so I have decided on the V1. I drove around my city with a friend who has one and there aren't many false alarms. Plus I don't speed much in city. Moreso on country roads and the highway. Now my next question is..I had the top of my windshield tinted to 5%, will I still be able to put the V1 up there without tampering with its range?

Power User

Radar will be unaffected, but if the tint has metal in it, LIDAR will not go through and radar may be affected.

Good Citizen

okay. When i had my 8500 all my windows were tinted and it seemed to work good. I recently got the top of my windshield tinted so if it does seem to affect the range or detection I can mount it just below the tint.