Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello from Mission Viejo!

Hello to everyone, I am glad to find this forum. I have a Passport 9500 ci that has been wonderful for over 2 years now. Excellent product. A sherriff told me about an hour ago he doesn't agree with me. He said he could impound my vehicle, but he would not if I promise to remove it from my vehicle. I do have a court date.
    Does anyone have suggestions that may result in my not losing my device?
    All the best to you and thanks in advance for any help.
    Mission Viejo, Ca. (So.Cal)

Advanced Member

Default Re: Hello from Mission Viejo!

Wow! Welcome to the forum. How fast were you going over the PSL? On a miltary base? Government property? Ticket for what?.....

Radar Fanatic

How did he find out about it? Did he inspect your car?

Laser jammers are illegal but it's just an equipment violation ... radar detectors are perfectly legal.

Mobile Installer

Welcome.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Power User

He's blowing smoke up your bum.

Yoda of Radar

What exactly have you been charged with?

Ok here it is.... I was not speeding. Officer was upset he got a Zero read on his expensive laser gun. Chased me down. Accused me of having a Belkin Laser Jammer. I told him I did not own a Belkin laser jammer, (true) but I did have a Radar Detector . He asked permission to search the vehicle. He opened the hood to my engine. Saw the words "Passport" and said he was not familiar with it but it must be illegal because his gun would not register my speed.
    I just nodded and told him I'd owned it for a couple of years without trouble.
    I have a court date for "Illegal laser jamming device". No fees listed on the ticket.
    I guess I'll turn shifting off.......... I dont want to lose the device. It truly works great.
    Ideas are very welcolme if there are any out there.

All the best to you all.............

Last note: I was on city street in a 45 mph zone. Residential boulevard. In some traffic. Not much traffic. City- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA.

Yoda of Radar

The problem is that you didn't use it properly. When you got the alert, you were supposed to slow down, then hit the mute button twice to turn shifting off and allow the officer to obtain your new and improved speed. Assuming you were charged with CVC 28150, that is a Class 1A infraction. When you get the court document in the mail, you should be able to just pay a little extra fine and be done with it. Since you are the first we know of to get charged with this particular offense, I'd be interested to know how this turns out. Worst case scenario, you might have to get it uninstalled, then get it re-installed once you get it written off. After that, I'd suggest that you use it properly, to avoid going through this again. If you run up against the same LEO again, he could make your life troublesome.

Power User

However, there's no justification for impounding your car. Maybe it was just an empty threat, a scare tactic to get you to consent to a search. Then again, this idiot thinks that Belkin makes LIDAR jammers. Even if he meant Beltronics, he's still a retard.

Was this an OC Sheriff or a CHP?