Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello from southern california(OC)

Hello Everyone, I started doing research about my new car modification purchase and found the site. The wealth of information is great and I'm doing my best to read it all and soak it in. Currently I'm planning to get a LI for my 2000 1.8T jetta, from reading the list of used speed detectors it doesn't seem K band is used all the much anymore in the state. Is it still wise to supplement the LI with a V1 or would the money be better spent on rear heads for the LI? Also I'm still a tad confused on the whether or not 4 heads is actually a misdemeanor or if it's just a catch all set up to stop the sale of said jammers and not aim toward end users. I'll be nabbing some shots of the car after I complete my HID install so I'll post them up for mounting suggestions

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge, I tend to like to be "over informed" when I purchase things especially for my car but it hasn't failed me yet

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hello from southern california(OC)

Welcome to the club. The LI + V1 is an awesome combo.

I was wondering about the same question myself, as far what is the difference between the # of "devices" per what the vehicle code says. I will let others chime in on this.

As far as radar, you're right on the money with the bands. Some local municipalities still use K-band radar systems, but the bulk of the threats are laser and Ka radar. (stationary, mobile, motorcycles have mobile radar too now!)

In most cases, the V1 will serve you well with X,K bands turned off and Ka guard turned on. I like to leave my POP on as well, but others will argue it's not needed. I highly recommend mounting it high, hardwiring. The concealed display is another favorite of mine.

For the LI, a good external speaker is a nice touch.

Professional

Welcome to the forums. Although it is rare to see K-band used, It is still used in California. I would make sure to use a V1 and keep K band on. Several members on these forums come from SoCal and have had K-band encounters down there. Getting shot from the rear with Laser is rare, but it will eventually happen - especially in Southern California. If you don't have a V1 yet, I would get the V1 and front LI coverage first, and then add on rear coverage as soon as you can afford it. I'll be happy to give you mounting suggestions and even make a trip to SoCal to help you test your setup once it is complete.

I have always wondered about CVC 28150. For a long time, I assumed that a jamming device counted as a head from the jammer. Then I thought about it and concluded that a jamming device is the entire system. For the jammer to work, it needs all of the parts that came with it to be connected. If you don't have a switch connected, you can't control the jammer. If you don't have the CPU installed, the heads won't fire, receive power, or know when to. All of the parts work together to form the jamming device. That is what I will argue in court if I ever need to. I realize some of the people on these forums might disagree with me. The problem with that little section in the CVC is that it can be confusing and also vague. I understand how other Californians feel, because I have felt the same way. When it comes to radar detectors and laser jammers, a lot of LEOs are unaware of what is out there. I have been pulled over by CHP that think the ability to even detect laser is impossible. That is back when I had my 9500ix and was hit with a Truspeed. I asked him if he was sure he hit my car because my detector didn't go off. He said that mine would never go off because it could not detect laser. While that is not true, the point is that LEOs are ignorant to the technology that exists. They have this huge ego that they are awesome and will always win - and that is ok with me. So now put yourself in the officer's shoes. Let's just say you are one of those few who actually know about a jammer, what it looks like, how it works, and what jammer is best. What is to stop a LEO from knowing if the jammer is one device or just assuming that the heads are the devices and possibly charge you for a misdemeanor if he sees four heads? LEOs charge people with wrong things all the time. Also, I have heard of cases where LEOs not only charge people for illegal use of equipment, but interfering with an investigation and obstruction of justice... even in states where a laser jammer is legal. I heard of it happening in Texas once, can anyone confirm that for me? Regardless, I keep my lawyer on speed dial.

As long as you slow down and shut the jammer off when you are hit with Lidar, the chances of you being caught are extremely slim. Really really slim.

-Oyu

Radar Fanatic

Welcome to the forum.Nice to have you onboard.

Radar Fanatic

Welcome aboard ... OC is taking over.

Power User

Welcome to our most excellent forum

thanks for the welcome everyone, I was thinking about it a bit during some off time at work today and Figured I would get a V1 to start, keep the speed at PSL like I have been and learn the V1. it seems to have a bit of a learning curve, then save some cash up for the LI hopefully by then I can fireguard out the legality issue over a quad system or not, but most likely I've just say screw it and go with a quad system anyway, the only problem i see in it is that I currently have a white car and the sensors are black so they are going to kinda stand out like a sore thumb in the rear. Also have to do some research as I fear some of my LED modifications might effect the sensors, and if it's possible to paint the sensor bodies white to match the car.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by DCxMagus View Post
    thanks for the welcome everyone, I was thinking about it a bit during some off time at work today and Figured I would get a V1 to start, keep the speed at PSL like I have been and learn the V1.
    Sounds like a wise move

Quote Originally Posted by DCxMagus View Post
    the only problem i see in it is that I currently have a white car and the sensors are black so they are going to kinda stand out like a sore thumb in the rear.
    FYI just remember to stealth the ride not the install.
    Last edited by Akosikojak; 08-19-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: ADD

Yoda of Radar

CVC 28150 (d) is aimed at those that distribute illegal devices, in this case, laser jammers. This law is not aimed at the end user. My lawyer has told me that a four head laser jammer system is one device, since none of the sensors can operate independently from the CPU. The law is a little vague, but any good lawyer could beat that charge.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    CVC 28150 (d) is aimed at those that distribute illegal devices, in this case, laser jammers. This law is not aimed at the end user. My lawyer has told me that a four head laser jammer system is one device, since none of the sensors can operate independently from the CPU. The law is a little vague, but any good lawyer could beat that charge.
    Wow, staying up late are we? [ 08-19-2010 04:21 AM ] or is that 03:21 AM Pacific - either way.... get some sleep!!

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count