Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default New to forum, hello from Chicagoland

After receiving 4 tickets and 1 warning over the course of one week last November, and successfully attaining "double secret supervision" from the humbling state of Illinois, I started to look into radar detectors. Luckily a friend had a V1 he wasn't using and gave to me, and I'm starting to look into installation options, hence joining this forum. The main unit itself is enclosed in a heavy duty black box, and I'm looking into mounting it behind the grill. I am trying to read up but if anyone has any relevant links to this or comments otherwise I'd appreciate them. Here are some pics:

This is a screen:

The car it is going in:
    Last edited by BTM; 03-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Professional

Default Re: New to forum, hello from Chicagoland

Welcome, first I would check the serial # on the V1 site to see what version you have as it may need to be updated. Second I would take it out of the black box and mount it above and to the left of the rear view mirror, good luck

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    Welcome, first I would check the serial # on the V1 site to see what version you have as it may need to be updated. Second I would take it out of the black box and mount it above and to the left of the rear view mirror, good luck
    and third, delete the first picture that has your name (?) on it.

Newcomer

Not my name, but if it were, not sure how relevant it is as I'm not doing anything illegal

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
    Not my name, but if it were, not sure how relevant it is as I'm not doing anything illegal
    LEO's troll this forum.

Newcomer

just a random name on the box it came in, but I'll take it down to protect whoever's identity. Any info/thoughts on mounting behind the grill? BMW makes a cupholder delete panel for the E85/86 which I think putting the concealed display in would result in a clean install

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
    just a random name on the box it came in, but I'll take it down to protect whoever's identity. Any info/thoughts on mounting behind the grill? BMW makes a cupholder delete panel for the E85/86 which I think putting the concealed display in would result in a clean install
    I think I have read maybe one post in the 3 years i have been here that has addressed this and the general consensus is that it is a bad idea. It will cut down on performance and will do away with the arrows. And a V1 with out the arrows is not a V1.

You may also want to post this in the V1 section of the forum to get more responses.
    Last edited by upstatedoc; 03-24-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered removing the V1 from the box and mounting it on the windshield?

That's easier and it'll perform better.

Newcomer

Thanks everyone, yes, I was trying to get it out of the box last night to check the serial, however I didn't have the proper knife. The glue is very strong, I will probably have to heat it with a hair dryer and use an Exacto knife. If the windshield above the mirror is truly the best place for it, I will put it there, and investigate the concealed display in the cupholder delete when those parts come in.

Radar Fanatic

Since the V1 has two antennas, one in the front and back, it antenna detects rear signals like no other. It must be mounted on the windshield to take advantage of both antennas.

Good luck opening the box!