Lightbulb Hi from all over

Hello,
    My name is Dustin McCullough. I do alot of traveling as a DoD contractor working with the Marines. I am looking at various radar detectors. However I am getting caught up in the tech of it all. I basic understanding of Passive Infrared (PIR). A limited understanding of RF theory. But I am trying to make the two compute in my head and I am getting stuck at this.
    The reason I joined the forum is to get expert technical advice on false positive alerts. I know what sets them off, im just curious as to how and in specifics. my first question is: the false positive occurs at this ?? frequency on ?_band? because an extremely low Passive Infrared (pyroelectric) frequency emition comes from motion sensors frequency (7-11 door) while trying to detect infrared emissions of 8 to 12 micrometers (People or animals...standard PIR devices).

I know... I'm a geek. But the infinate sourse of knowledge (Google) has let me down.
    I will probably have more questions but this is bugging me at the moment.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hi from all over

Welcome.

Dustin, you are thinking too hard about this. Door openers (7-11, CVS, Walgreens) use the same K-band frequency as K band police radar (24.0-24.2) therefore a proper radar detector will alert to them.

Advanced Member

Welcome to the club. Prolly not a good idea to post a real name as username. Unless that is a carefully crafted alias.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Professional

Last edited by speeddemon; 09-20-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Advanced Member

Trolling, perhaps?

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

RadarBusters Associate

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    Trolling, perhaps?
    Nope

Power User

Welcome to our most excellent site.

There are different types of motion detectors. There are active systems, such as photo sensors (break the light beam & infrared) and noise/wavelength generators (radar, high frequency bounce back). All pick up on that frequency range you mentioned (and thanks cause that was my next question). I am looking into the connection between Passive Infrared Devices. Those devices monitor radiation people emit mesured in micrometers then uses that detected radiation to produce electric current to set off the motor for the door. But by principle, it should not set off a radar detector but it still does. IR and K band frequencies do intersect. I'm haveing an issue finding out how Passive IR and frequencys intersect. This is probably more of a question for the motion detector companies but if yall know i will take it.

I do not own any horses.
    I know how magnets work and i am not a mormon.
    and 80's music doesn't excite me.
    No trolling here. Although my daughter asks me to be the grumpy old troll who lives under the brige from dora the explorer everynow and then. But i promise, no childrens riddles from me on this site.

Radar Fanatic

Welcome to the forum.