Default Greetings from Atlanta

Though I travel a lot, just crested 2 Million miles with Delta Airlines, I have driven long distances this past year. Atlanta to RI and back. And I put 12K miles/year on a 2003 F150 I've owned since mile 3. I own a Passport 9500ix, circa 2011. Not sure I get all the acronyms: LEO must be Law Enforcement Officer, yet I'm a quick study.

Newcomer

Default Re: Greetings from Atlanta

Welcome from another in ATL!
    I find my 9500ix to be an excellent tool for use here in the Atlanta area.
    Sounds like you have the opportunity to use yours a lot with the miles you drive!

Quote Originally Posted by tech57 View Post
    Welcome from another in ATL!
    I find my 9500ix to be an excellent tool for use here in the Atlanta area.
    Sounds like you have the opportunity to use yours a lot with the miles you drive!
    I'm losing confidence in the device. Traveling south on GA400 about 10:45 pm one night last week. I went right past a LEO in a marked car. No warning from the RD. I was turning on to Tata Rd. from 75 and there was a LEO in a marked car, the speed measuring device had two brown'ish tint lens clearly visible. It looked like the officer was looking through a site. I've gotten bagged by laser on I-20, missed a speed reduction due to construction in Habersham Co. Alabama.

So I'm getting spooked that I cannot rely on the device. I understand that it records 'false', repeatable radar locations. I subscribe to the database feature.

I'm hear to lean if there are any products updates, driving techniques, that would better serve me.

Newcomer

The technique which has served me well for several hundred thousand miles is to always have a vehicle rolling faster than you (A RABBIT).
    LEO's may not be operating their radar unit "constant on". If their unit is not transmitting there is no signal for your detector to detect.
    An LEO may wait for the target vehicle to come within range and then pull the trigger of their radar device, Instant On reading of your speed, and you're toast.
    An LEO may have the speed measuring device, radar or laser, pointed directly at you but until he pulls the trigger to get a reading there is nothing for your detector to detect.
    Remember your eyes are one of the best countermeasures you have and never rely 100% on any device.