Default Getting The Valentine 1

Hello everyone, Im new to this radar detector thing and tomorrow I am picking up my new V-1. I live in east Tennessee and was wondering if I should customize the setup or leave the factory setup installed, and if I should customize it , any suggestions?

Lead Foot

Default Re: Getting The Valentine 1

I would recommend you leave it as factory for a little bit, learn how it works and get some experience with it. Then start tweaking it. V1 is the best windshield detector out there and possibly the best detector period, you go fairly far with customization but in my opinion, it was really easy to get lost in it if you are a rookie and increase the chances of getting tagged.

When I initiate people to the real detector world, I always start at the beginning or I loose them pretty fast. Just my 2 cents

Newcomer

Id turn off X band. Did you get V1Connection?

Thanks for the response lead foot. I think I will leave it alone for now while I figure out what kind of radar the cops are using in my area. And in response to newcomer I'm not sure what v-l connection is.

Today was my first day with the v-1 and to be honest I'm not sure its working. I practically drove through a police station today and it did not make so much as a sound. I am just hoping they did not have the radar on in there cars but I also went to the grocery store and the doors did not set it off. I should mention that I also have savvy with it and its set to 35 mph and my car is a Porsche cayman, so I was wondering if maybe the glass is metalized. When you start the car the rd goes through all the proper start up sequences and seems fine. Maybe I will figure it out tomorrow.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
    Today was my first day with the v-1 and to be honest I'm not sure its working. I practically drove through a police station today and it did not make so much as a sound. I am just hoping they did not have the radar on in there cars but I also went to the grocery store and the doors did not set it off. I should mention that I also have savvy with it and its set to 35 mph and my car is a Porsche cayman, so I was wondering if maybe the glass is metalized. When you start the car the rd goes through all the proper start up sequences and seems fine. Maybe I will figure it out tomorrow.
    Radar detectors detect radar, not police car. If you pass 100 cop cars in a week and none of them have their radar turned on at that time, you won't get the alert. Depends where you are, in my area, city cops don't have radar in their car so I almost never get an alert. When I do, I know it's a traffic cop.

Advanced Member

Welcome! I run around the Smokies alot with an unfiltered V1. Sevierville had a couple of MPH X bands (and Ka). Beware, some of these small towns still use X band so learn your area before turning off any bands.