Default Beltronics 980 didn't go off

I got pulled over (and luckily was able to convince the kind officer to give me a warning), in Ridgefield Ct. Radar unit was in cruiser windshield, no external laser noted...but my Beltronic 980 didn't make a sound. warning ticket was written for 49 in a 35 zone...wondering whether he guesstimated my speed vs malfunctioning detector? (signaled a Ka band yesterday so probably not) vs new technology that my Beltronics will not pick up? .....was set on highway mode.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Beltronics 980 didn't go off

Welcome to the forum! You are very lucky indeed. Normally I would say that you should send your 980 in for repair, but IIRC Bel will no longer repair the 980, it's too old. Hard to say what happened in your case. They do guesstimate speed and it is admissible in court, so I would not dismiss that possibility. Did he say he clocked you on radar? He could have been using laser. They are handheld or used on a tripod, so it will not be visible in the windshield.

GTO_04

Default Re: Beltronics 980 didn't go off

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You are very lucky indeed. Normally I would say that you should send your 980 in for repair, but IIRC Bel will no longer repair the 980, it's too old. Hard to say what happened in your case. They do guesstimate speed and it is admissible in court, so I would not dismiss that possibility. Did he say he clocked you on radar? He could have been using laser. They are handheld or used on a tripod, so it will not be visible in the windshield.

GTO_04
    He did not say how he determined my speed, but I approach the cruiser from behind and he had a radar unit pointing forward. Additionally there was no unit outside the vehicle, and I believe laser would not shoot through glass. After some consideration, given the abovementioned circumstances, I think he probably guesstimated my speed. It is interesting how he arrived at an odd unrounded number...but i guess that would make his guesstimation more believable. He pegged me at 49 in what he said was a 35 mph zone although the next speed limit sign I saw was for 45 mph....I would bet that one wouldn't find one car in 50 going under 35 mph on that road. Anyway I asked for a break and got off with a warning....lucky is right!