Default Joining in from PA

I have had many detectors over the years. I think my first was a Super Fox Vixen. I've had a Uniden and a series of Bel detectors along the way. I've finally settled on a V1 with remote display, V1 Connection and a Savvy.

Being in Pennsylvania, we're in the stone age of radar. Well, maybe the bronze age. I do the occasional jaunt into NY, OH and WV which tends toward more modern radar and laser.

Default Re: Joining in from PA

From what I can remember on my brief drive thru PA, all the police are running K band squatting off the side of the road... it made for a very confusing drive after all the false K alerts from New York and NJ

Yes, the only radar permitted in Pennsylvania is that operated by the Pennsylvania State Police. It is all K-band fixed position radar (handheld or mounted). There are a lot of Ka speed display signs but, other than that, it's all K-band for enforcement radar. Local police are not permitted to use radar in PA.

So what do the local police use then?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
    I have had many detectors over the years. I think my first was a Super Fox Vixen. I've had a Uniden and a series of Bel detectors along the way. I've finally settled on a V1 with remote display, V1 Connection and a Savvy.

Being in Pennsylvania, we're in the stone age of radar. Well, maybe the bronze age. I do the occasional jaunt into NY, OH and WV which tends toward more modern radar and laser.
    Super Fox, I had one of those along with several others.
    I have had my V1 for about 15 years at this point in my life.

My wife is from Mars, Pa. I drive their about a dozens times a year.

The lack of LEO presence on the midnight shift has always been great.
    They cant run lidar...So I guess their like "****1t day work can get him"!

Welcome to the forum.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by chakeubeam View Post
    Local police will use VASCAR / ENRADD (mostly VASCAR). On a very seldom basis, sometimes they will use a calibrated speedometer but that's virtually non-existent. To use a calibrated speedometer, they must have it recalibrated monthly and departments don't want to spend the time nor money having it done and redone continually. Calibrations must be done monthly.

I worked for a police department in the late 80's and early 90's and they initially were doing spedo calibrations but they abandoned it quickly. They had to wait for the calibrator to be working at the local state police barracks doing their cars and run our cars up one by one to wait for an opening. It wasn't something they could ever plan for with anything more than a day or two notice.

Red Light cameras are in use in PA but almost to the point of no threat at all. PA recently passed a law allowing for them but, as typical for PA, the law is written around a preference for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Only those two cities and departments in their associated counties (with very specific restrictions) can have them. They are nearly non-existent.

There have been repeated attempts to get laws passed in PA to allow municipal use of radar (as recently as last year) but they are always defeated. The Pennsylvania State Police is a powerful force in the state and they always get their way. They want to be the only agency allowed to use radar... period and they always get their way. Oddly, they are restricted to fixed K-band radar. The state laws have a specific list of allowable units and it has to be updated with new approved units. Every allowable model is on the list.

PSP has a handful of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft that are capable of air-based timing but they haven't written a ticket since 2005.
    Last edited by avaloncourt; 07-12-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstglockem View Post
    My wife is from Mars, Pa. I drive their about a dozens times a year.
    I am in the Cranberry/Mars and Pittsburgh areas frequently. I live up toward Erie. So, I am on I-79 a lot.

Local police will use VASCAR / ENRADD (mostly VASCAR). On a very seldom basis, sometimes they will use a calibrated speedometer but that's virtually non-existent. To use a calibrated speedometer, they must have it recalibrated monthly and departments don't want to spend the time nor money having it done and redone continually. Calibrations must be done monthly.

I worked for a police department in the late 80's and early 90's and they initially were doing spedo calibrations but they abandoned it quickly. They had to wait for the calibrator to be working at the local state police barracks doing their cars and run our cars up one by one to wait for an opening. It wasn't something they could ever plan for with anything more than a day or two notice.

Red Light cameras are in use in PA but almost to the point of no threat at all. PA recently passed a law allowing for them but, as typical for PA, the law is written around a preference for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Only those two cities and departments in their associated counties (with very specific restrictions) can have them. They are nearly non-existent.

There have been repeated attempts to get laws passed in PA to allow municipal use of radar (as recently as last year) but they are always defeated. The Pennsylvania State Police is a powerful force in the state and they always get their way. They want to be the only agency allowed to use radar... period and they always get their way. Oddly, they are restricted to fixed K-band radar. The state laws have a specific list of allowable units and it has to be updated with new approved units. Every allowable model is on the list.

PSP has a handful of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft that are capable of air-based timing but they haven't written a ticket since 2005.
    WOW, thank you for all the info. its guys like you that save my a$$ out there on the road ways. What is ENRADD?

WOW, thank you for all the info. its guys like you that save my a$$ out there on the road ways. What is ENRADD?
    While VASCAR is a visual-based timing/calculation device, ENRADD is electronic in nature. ENRADD (Electronic Non Radar Device) has beams that are broken and creates the timing/speed calculation.

Outside of calibrated speedometers, local departments have to use timing devices for speed enforcement. Long ago, a local department used 'speed tape' but it was much more problem than it was worth. Sensor tape had to be attached to the lane and there was a physical connection to the timing box in the vehicle. That department never had anything good to say about it. It was unreliable and prone to breakdown.

Advanced Member

All this information is excellent and like every one has said, this is a excellent place to learn and get valuable information. Majority of departments are aging out at this point and ready to retire, meaning we have herd it all.

That being said when we ask you"how fast do you think you were going"? and you say something really stupid...chance are your going to get the hammer.

These days politeness goes along way..

I am not saying be a b1tch or fall on your sword but you would be surprised what just might get you a warning.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum