Professional

Default Veil and MSG vs Lidar

Hi Veil Guy, aka Bob. Over the past weekend, I acquired a new can of Veil G5, and decided to do some testing on it with some of my lidar guns. I wanted to use another product other than Veil so I could compare the results against Veil. I decided to use MSG. For those that don't know what MSG is, here is a definition: Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's "generally recognized as safe," but its use remains controversial.

MSG is some pretty nasty stuff, but I wanted to use something that is commonly found in a lot of homes. Low and behold, while it wasn't perfect, I did achieve some JTG performance. The issue was, getting it off of my car. This stuff is NASTY stuff, and to think we eat it. Yuck.

Next up was the Veil. The first thing I noticed, was how dark the Veil was. I mean, it literally turned my headlights black to the point that very little light emanated from it. After letting it dry, I ran the same tests using the same lidar guns I did when shooting the MSG covered lights. Well, to put it bluntly, the results were less than stellar. In fact, the MSG garnered better results than the Veil did. To make matters worse, trying to remove this stuff from my car was like trying to get white off of rice. It took over 12 hours of hard elbow grease to get this useless stuff off of my car.

So in case anyone was wondering, MSG is a better lidar deterrent than Veil is. So safe yourself some money, go buy some Chinese food, and plaster it all over your car and you'll get better results than you would with Veil.

Manufacturer

Default Re: Veil and MSG vs Lidar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post
    Hi Veil Guy, aka Bob. Over the past weekend, I acquired a new can of Veil G5, and decided to do some testing on it with some of my lidar guns. I wanted to use another product other than Veil so I could compare the results against Veil. I decided to use MSG. For those that don't know what MSG is, here is a definition: Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's "generally recognized as safe," but its use remains controversial.

MSG is some pretty nasty stuff, but I wanted to use something that is commonly found in a lot of homes. Low and behold, while it wasn't perfect, I did achieve some JTG performance. The issue was, getting it off of my car. This stuff is NASTY stuff, and to think we eat it. Yuck.

Next up was the Veil. The first thing I noticed, was how dark the Veil was. I mean, it literally turned my headlights black to the point that very little light emanated from it. After letting it dry, I ran the same tests using the same lidar guns I did when shooting the MSG covered lights. Well, to put it bluntly, the results were less than stellar. In fact, the MSG garnered better results than the Veil did. To make matters worse, trying to remove this stuff from my car was like trying to get white off of rice. It took over 12 hours of hard elbow grease to get this useless stuff off of my car.

So in case anyone was wondering, MSG is a better lidar deterrent than Veil is. So safe yourself some money, go buy some Chinese food, and plaster it all over your car and you'll get better results than you would with Veil.

Thanks for the info. I'll remember this the next time I order Kung Pao chicken.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook