Default Should I fight a speeding ticket?

Hello,
    I'm pannna and am new here. This post might not be exact speciality of this forum. But I would like any advice that I can get and hence posting it here anyways.

If anyone can spare a few minutes and advice me, that would be very helpful to me.

I don't have a radar detector yet, but am seriously considering buying one now.

Couple of days ago, in PA (I live in OR, was there for a vacation) 78caught me at 78. Apparently speed limit was 55 (traffic was easily at 70). Cop graciously reduced my speed to 63/55. I’m considering the option of fighting the case, my argument would be traffic being at 70+, downward slope on the hill and no intent of speeding and carefully maintained history and ask for leniency.

OR doesn’t have point system, so if I win I only benefit the ticket fine and the insurance premiums. Also according to the citation I can plead not guilty even in writing so may be I don’t have to go all the way.

But I’m afraid of two things, 1) if my letter is not enough for a waiver/leniency and the case goes for trial then I don’t want to travel or pay for a lawyer, I will just back off, would that cause any additional losses? And 2) more importantly as the police officer has already reduced my speed from 78 to 63, can the trial make it go worse, making me pay fine for 78 instead of 63?

Please help, your advice would be very helpful.

Manufacturer

Default Re: Should I fight a speeding ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by pannna View Post
    Hello,
    I'm pannna and am new here. This post might not be exact speciality of this forum. But I would like any advice that I can get and hence posting it here anyways.

If anyone can spare a few minutes and advice me, that would be very helpful to me.

I don't have a radar detector yet, but am seriously considering buying one now.

Couple of days ago, in PA (I live in OR, was there for a vacation) 78caught me at 78. Apparently speed limit was 55 (traffic was easily at 70). Cop graciously reduced my speed to 63/55. I’m considering the option of fighting the case, my argument would be traffic being at 70+, downward slope on the hill and no intent of speeding and carefully maintained history and ask for leniency.

OR doesn’t have point system, so if I win I only benefit the ticket fine and the insurance premiums. Also according to the citation I can plead not guilty even in writing so may be I don’t have to go all the way.

But I’m afraid of two things, 1) if my letter is not enough for a waiver/leniency and the case goes for trial then I don’t want to travel or pay for a lawyer, I will just back off, would that cause any additional losses? And 2) more importantly as the police officer has already reduced my speed from 78 to 63, can the trial make it go worse, making me pay fine for 78 instead of 63?

Please help, your advice would be very helpful.
    While PA in a member of the "compact," my understanding is that they will NOT report any ticket to out of state drivers provided the ticket is paid. If not, then your state will be petitioned.

Being out of state, can limit your options. Generally when I get tickets in PA, I ask for a PA-3111A (which is a no point general moving violation) or FIVE over which carries no points as well.

You definitely got a good deal from the officer.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook