Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LI SIA Question

Power User

Default LI SIA Question

I was wondering when you get a Sunlight Warning, how much of the LI's performance is compromised and for how long after the warning message.

As for other jammers, since they do not talk, does it just do a normal alert? I know DJ was complaining about falses with his ci.

Advanced Member

Default Re: LI SIA Question

Cut the reception or recieving capability 25% I believe.....All jammers do this when they experience sunlight interference! Only the LI alerts you when it is entering that mode

In AZ(GOL March 2007) when testing the dealer supplied prototype(not retail) it was in sunlight interferance mode for each run

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Old Timer

interesting

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    .....All jammers do this when they experience sunlight interference! Only the LI alerts you when it is entering that mode

In AZ(GOL March 2007) when testing the dealer supplied prototype(not retail) it was in sunlight interferance mode for each run
    ^ It does well to note all that brother cVr said above.

ALL jammers (and even detectors) experience sunlight interference.

And it's not just sunlight - it's any kind of excessively bright ambient lighting situation that can cause the jammer/detector's receiver to pick up sufficient glare, that it "blinds" it, temporarily.

Drive around with the LI for a while, particularly in the wintertime, and you'll notice that you'll get the warning off snowbanks, too.

---

Note that the LI in the 2007 testing was in "Sunlight Interference" mode the entire time. Does this mean anything?

That's hard to say.

Theoretically, I think that both the jammer's receptive capability as well as its output capability would be affected.

With the 2007 prototype at GOL, I think that a part of what made its performance so stellar, even given the sun-interference, is that it did have two emitter diodes, and that this may have allowed it to "overpower" the police LIDAR on the other end.

Why do I say this?

Well....look at the October, 2007, Osijek testing, done by SpeedLab members.

The run versus the Laser Atlanta was made, it was reported, under sunlight-interference conditions. Look at the PT distances.

Look at the other jammers tested - in this particular test, things were more equal, right?

To me, I'm reading that data as that with the single diode, under such conditions, the jammer's output is not sufficient to overpower what the police LIDAR sees, of its own reflections, via it's much more dedicated optics (which, even though it would also stand to reason to be handicapped via such bright surroundings, may not be affected quite as badly, due to it's drastically improved capabilities, overall).

But then again, there's another interpretation:

Look at how Ivan and the LI team has set up default head-to-control-box linkages, recently.

Currently, for a dual-head, front-only, setup, it is recommended that we use "cross-logic," ports 2 and 3.

Per Ivan, this essentially allows only the head that is actually receiving the sun glare to revert to sunlight-interference mode, and allows the unaffected head to remain at top receptive performance.

This kind of divorced logic would then suggest to me that "sunlight-interference mode" actually has something to do with the receptive side of the equation - thinking of it as your eye's pupil, which constricts in brighter light - and that being in "sunlight-interference mode" decreases the receptive capability of the jammer, which is, in-turn, what causes its decreased performance.

In looking at it this way, I'm really not quite sure what to make of the 2007 GOL data.

---

How long after the alert is should you remain careful?

That's easy.

You should remain careful as long as the alert recycles (note that this is adjustable, via the LI's control software).

And if you chose for the alert not to recycle? or have a long recycle period?

Again, it just takes common sense - how long do you perceive that you're in the position to elicit such a warning? If you'd made an eastward turn, during AM hours, into sunlight, and elicited the sunlight-interference warning, but now just made a turn so that your vehicle's front-end is no longer pointed at the rising sun, common-sense would dictate that there should not be a worry, any more, right?

---

As to exactly how much performance is degraded.....

I think that per cVr's quote - which is in-turn what Ivan had said at one point, IIRC - that's about accurate.

And in this case, if such a number can be drawn, I'd say that "sunlight-interference mode" is perhaps more reception based than it is output based.

But if this is the case, then my question would be whether the cut in performance is always going to be this "approximately one-quarter," or if it depends, based on the exact physical lighting conditions.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    I was wondering when you get a Sunlight Warning, how much of the LI's performance is compromised and for how long after the warning message.

As for other jammers, since they do not talk, does it just do a normal alert? I know DJ was complaining about falses with his ci.
    My ZR4's false alerts can almost always be attributed to a nearby laser guided cruise control equipped vehicle. The problem with this is that I find myself more and more looking for this vehicle as opposed to a lidar toting LEO. Thus, the LI purchase.
    Last edited by djrams80; 08-18-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post

This kind of divorced logic would then suggest to me that "sunlight-interference mode" actually has something to do with the receptive side of the equation - thinking of it as your eye's pupil, which constricts in brighter light - and that being in "sunlight-interference mode" decreases the receptive capability of the jammer, which is, in-turn, what causes its decreased performance.

but the hardware doesn't have an iris to control the incoming light like the human eye does. i understand it a bit differently by looking at it like signal-noise ratio.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by cell21633 View Post
    but the hardware doesn't have an iris to control the incoming light like the human eye does. i understand it a bit differently by looking at it like signal-noise ratio.
    ^ Exactly, and I both apologize for my rather bad analogy ( after all, I did take "Physics for Poets" ), as well as than you for your clarification!

The pupil analogy was a very bad one.......

---

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    My ZR4's false alerts can almost always be attributed to a nearby laser guided cruise control equipped vehicle. The problem with this is that I find myself more and more looking for this vehicle as opposed to a lidar toting LEO. Thus, the LI purchase.
    My falses with the ZR3, particularly with the rear head, have also included a large proportion of sunlight-induced falsing.

Typically, not *direct* sunlight, but if I were traveling along a tree-lined street, at around 30 MPH, with the afternoon sun at my back, I can almost guaranty you that I'll get a few false alerts.

It seems the bright sunlight, combined with "strobing" from the tree shadows, plus perhaps some road vibrations, gets things "just right."

-----

PS: Posed a question to Ivan and the LI team on the technicalities of "SIA" mode. Hope to have some answers, soon.
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 08-19-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    ^ Exactly, and I both apologize for my rather bad analogy ( after all, I did take "Physics for Poets" ), as well as than you for your clarification!

The pupil analogy was a very bad one.......

---

My falses with the ZR3, particularly with the rear head, have also included a large proportion of sunlight-induced falsing.

Typically, not *direct* sunlight, but if I were traveling along a tree-lined street, at around 30 MPH, with the afternoon sun at my back, I can almost guaranty you that I'll get a few false alerts.

It seems the bright sunlight, combined with "strobing" from the tree shadows, plus perhaps some road vibrations, gets things "just right."

-----

PS: Posed a question to Ivan and the LI team on the technicalities of "SIA" mode. Hope to have some answers, soon.
    Just clarify, you will get a laser alert, the LI is good because it talks to you, so you will not be jumpy like a reg alert.

Old Timer

^ Yep.

You'll still "jump," in that split second, when it's just the audible warning tone plus the voice saying "Warning...."

But right after that, the LI will attempt to identify the LIDAR source signature, and if you're in a place where you know you shouldn't get any "Unknown Gun" warnings, you'll know, immediately, that it's false.

The same with the LPP - it has a "triple beep" alert tone, to denote an unknown device encounter. Yeah, you'll still jump in that split second when you hear the beep, but you won't be left as puzzled as when the ZR3/4 goes into its alert/Shifting mode (and you also won't be quite as satisfied as with the LI, with its voice reassurance).
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 08-19-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    Just clarify, you will get a laser alert, the LI is good because it talks to you, so you will not be jumpy like a reg alert.
    An LI Laser Alert starts with the siren for a few seconds and then it says the gun it is jamming

in Sunlight interference it just says "Sunlight inference detected please proceed with caution."(With no siren sound at all)

So it is easy to tell when the LI jamming versus SIA
    Last edited by crazyVOLVOrob; 08-19-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96