Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stealthed Like a B-2

Default Laser Interceptor Alert to Brake Light Kill Switch

Hey cliff, anybody that knows electronics/wiring, or anybody that has suggestions..

Ive been thinking on this for quite a while but their are several problems with it.

For rear lidar shots when you get the alert the jamming sequence is initaited and you at the same time start slowing down/brakeing. Which causes your rear brake lights to light up. A LEO seeing this if he has any knowledge and isn't getting a reading on the gun would know your jamming him. Which in illegal states would be not such a good situation.

Which is why I was hoping that I could make a mechinism/wiring schematic that would kill the brake lights when the Laser Interceptor alerted.

I would like to incorporate at least a 1 second Brake light kill delay so other drivers become more aware of me/their surroundings, which in turn would make it much safer. And I think this would be pretty hard to do.

The main problem would be that it would do the same for a frontal alert which would be much more dangerous than just having it for the rear shots that only happen ever blue moon.

Was wondering what you guys suggest on how to make this and also how (apart from how to do it in the first one) I could make it only work for the rear shots.

I might install this I might not, I might not (and theirs a high possibility of it) is because the dangers that are involved. I know the dangers of this but after thinking long and hard I think on the freeway (where this would happen) the officer would be shooting on a day that has moderate to medium traffic and I don't think I should have a problem unless somebody is extremly tailgating me. I really have been doubting on the things that could happen because of this and have started to practice freeway ethics that would make this happen a lot less likely. But Im still not sure, and would still like to know how I could do it.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Laser Interceptor Alert to Brake Light Kill Switch

Its fairly simple to do that, I just don't know how you could have it work on just the rears.

For an over all brake light cut out use the radio mute wire from LI. First figure out what it does, does it ground or send power out. Once that is figured out, find a normally closed relay and wire it in the brake light switch from the brake pedal. Next wire the LI to the relay. When it alerts the relay will open and when you hit the brakes no brake lights will come on.

Good Citizen

On back shots I try to use the emergency brake.

Stealthed Like a B-2

Quote Originally Posted by oahuyahoo View Post
    On back shots I try to use the emergency brake.
    I'll have to start practicing that. I know some people that just keep their hand their for cops.

See im not favoring the dangers of it though. The delay is going to be hard to figure out and the rear head part.

Thanks lan and think on it some more and see if you can think of anything else. Thanks bro

Radar Fanatic

Even though the chance of injury are very slim because I doubt someone would be tailgating you if you were speeding, but it would be dangerous to get hit with LIDAR when you are not speeding and there is someone directly behind you if you need to brake. I wouldn't recommend doing this since you will jam them anyways and if you don't want your brake lights to show up just use your e-brake.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by YTCD View Post
    I'll have to start practicing that. I know some people that just keep their hand their for cops.

See im not favoring the dangers of it though. The delay is going to be hard to figure out and the rear head part.

Thanks lan and think on it some more and see if you can think of anything else. Thanks bro
    The only thing I can think of is that when the rear heads fire they must send back some kind of signal back to the cpu. If you knew what this signal was you could tap into it and use the same thing as I told you above. The delay is not that hard, you can find a timed normally closed relay or maybe build a timer circuit with a 555 chip.

Stealthed Like a B-2

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that when the rear heads fire they must send back some kind of signal back to the cpu. If you knew what this signal was you could tap into it and use the same thing as I told you above. The delay is not that hard, you can find a timed normally closed relay or maybe build a timer circuit with a 555 chip.
    Im not worried about only the rear as long as I have the delay. If tailgating me or even behind me a good distance they saw my brake lights light up and if their tailgating me they probably hit the brakes right after I hit mine and if a good distance behind they are well aware and now ready to brake.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by YTCD View Post
    Hey cliff, anybody that knows electronics/wiring, or anybody that has suggestions..

Ive been thinking on this for quite a while but their are several problems with it.

For rear lidar shots when you get the alert the jamming sequence is initaited and you at the same time start slowing down/brakeing. Which causes your rear brake lights to light up. A LEO seeing this if he has any knowledge and isn't getting a reading on the gun would know your jamming him. Which in illegal states would be not such a good situation.

Which is why I was hoping that I could make a mechinism/wiring schematic that would kill the brake lights when the Laser Interceptor alerted.

I would like to incorporate at least a 1 second Brake light kill delay so other drivers become more aware of me/their surroundings, which in turn would make it much safer. And I think this would be pretty hard to do.

The main problem would be that it would do the same for a frontal alert which would be much more dangerous than just having it for the rear shots that only happen ever blue moon.

Was wondering what you guys suggest on how to make this and also how (apart from how to do it in the first one) I could make it only work for the rear shots.

I might install this I might not, I might not (and theirs a high possibility of it) is because the dangers that are involved. I know the dangers of this but after thinking long and hard I think on the freeway (where this would happen) the officer would be shooting on a day that has moderate to medium traffic and I don't think I should have a problem unless somebody is extremly tailgating me. I really have been doubting on the things that could happen because of this and have started to practice freeway ethics that would make this happen a lot less likely. But Im still not sure, and would still like to know how I could do it.
    Setting the LI to do brake disabling is easy. Well at least on a bike. Should be just as easy for cars.

Setting it to go off only when getting shot in the rear is another story. I ended up doing a dual cpu setup. The cost of an additional CPU isn't too bad (well during christmas it can be a pinch).

You'll have to look at the wiring diagrams of the relay you are using to determine how to go about wiring it. on my bike i'll show you a pathway of how the bike works then how to implement what you are asking for.

For a car i'll also show you a path way. However due to complexities of makes and models you will have to get an understanding of how things work before you begin.

On a more important note Zapple is on to something. Disabling your brake lights is a safety issue when dealing with ignorant drivers who need a bright light to keep them from smearing you off the road

I will explain how to go about doing this but I will also explain why it is a bad idea on cars.

Hayabusa: Pathway
    Front brake lever, activates switch, closes circuit on ECU, ECU sends 12V to brake light
    Rear brake lever, activates switch, closes circuit on ECU, ECU sends 12V to brake light.

There are two methods to integrate into this setup but I chose the easier way. My CPU is mounted in the tail which also happens to house the brake lights. Not sure how cars work but on my busa there's a 5V line for brake lights and a 12V line for brake lights.

In the rear of the busa, I just snip the 12V line, Run both ends to the normally closed relay, then run the power to the 12V line of the LI's power input point (the same place I tap LI's positive power). The black ground wire ties into a series of circuits and relays that I want activated. (It's just basically a strip of circuits all grounded to this one wire). There are two LI CPU's in my bike. One controls the front, one controls the back. The cpu that controls the back is the cpu that grounds the relay.

When leo targets your rear, the li grounds the mute wire. This activates everything connected to the ground wire. I.E a Rear notification LED will start flashing on the instrument gauge, the relay will trip, causing the normally closed relay to open. When it is "open" the brake levers will send 12V's to the brake lights but the circuit is broken so the lights never get the power.

Some things to note. On my busa, when I press brake levers, a 12V line powers the highpowered LED's. the circuit in the LED knows when 5V and 12V is being applied so it will adjust the brightness. "If your ECU is determining when to switch between 5V and 12V" The circuit above will just result in your brake lights shutting off when you press the brakes (no lights at all) because the ECU will apply 12V to the wire but kill 5V to the other wire (think single pull double throw)

Ok cars pathway.
    Press brake lever, activates switch, closes circuit on ECU, ecu applies brake lights.

Best approach would be to tie into the brake switch assembly. Here's where it gets tricky. Depending on your vehicle it could be as simple as a generic switch that closes upon pressing the brake levers to a more complicated setup that carries a signal to notify your ECU that your brake switch is malfunctioning/needs to be replaced etc.

If it's a simple two wire switch just snip both sides of the wire, take a continuity tester, and apply them to both ends, then press your brake lever, if they close when you apply brakes install a NC relay into one side of the wire, reconnect the other side that you snipped back to the original point. If when you apply brakes it opens then install a NO relay.

it looks like this..ECU->wire->NO/NC relay->switch->wire->ECU
    Then ground goes to mute, power goes to 12V
    If it's more then two wires dont bother, smart cars use the brake lever as a sensor to determine when to apply ABS systems or other car stability measures. Snipping into this assembly will just cause your onboard computer to start generating error codes and maintanence alerts...Not worth the risks.

You have been warned

Old Timer

Just be sure to do the wiring so that if the circuit fails, you *have* brake lights, instead of without.

Stealthed Like a B-2

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    Just be sure to do the wiring so that if the circuit fails, you *have* brake lights, instead of without.
    not a bad idea!