Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LI Install Question

Hello Everyone! I put a question up here earlier and I appreciate all of the feedback that I received.

I am finally getting my LI dual head installed on Friday! My understanding is that the head basically provides an 18" radius of protection. After looking (and measuring) more closely on my vehicle, I am trying to determine from your feedback what would be the best install point. I understand that adding more heads would be the ultimate option, but that isn't a choice at this point.

The front end of my care is very sloped and the center mass isn't that reflective. I have learned from reading on here that the LEO is going to aim for the most reflective objects on the car...headlights. So, please take a look at the two pics that I have posted and give me some feedback.

If I place the heads in the "blue" location, I will fully protect all of the reflective surfaces and and the majority of the vehicle. I will have a small gap in the centerline of the vehicle where I won't have protection based off of the 18" rule.

If I place the heads in the "red" location, I will fully protect the center mass but I will have weak spots on the edge of the vehicle around the reflective surfaces. (Again based off of the 18" rule)

So, my question is this...is the 18" rule pretty hardfast? If so, I think the "blue" location is the best decision. And, if it isn't, I feel that it's the best either way.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! I'm very excited to get these operational.

I also plan on hooking up with "Category 4" to test them out for weak spots once the install is complete!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: LI Install Question

the 18" rule is for older LED based jammers, even the new blinder m*7 series upped it to 20-24 inches (right in their manual), with a diode I would suspect it is closer to 25-30. I would install them in the red area and call it good, as long as they are level/parallel you should be good.

Advanced Member

Go with the Red location and mount the bubbles out to the side. The Red Location will give you total protection

Good Luck!

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

I feel like with a dab of veil on the Porsche logo, you would be better served with the the blue location.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by rsatmans View Post
    I feel like with a dab of veil on the Porsche logo, you would be better served with the the blue location.
    I disagree 100%

95% of Cops shot center-mass! Protect your centermass. Otherwise long range centermass punchthroughs are easy pickings

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Thank you everyone for your feedback! So 2 for the red, 1 for the blue...if the distance is actually greater than 18" wouldn't I be better served by placing them right under the headlights? Isn't that the most likely location that they will be aiming for AND the most reflective surface on the car? The bulk of the device will be there and it will overlap across the center mass?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by hadesATL View Post
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! So 2 for the red, 1 for the blue...if the distance is actually greater than 18" wouldn't I be better served by placing them right under the headlights? Isn't that the most likely location that they will be aiming for AND the most reflective surface on the car? The bulk of the device will be there and it will overlap across the center mass?
    Placing them under your headlights will leave you open for center-mass punchthroughs. The first place cops shot is center mass! That should be your goal in protection. And your LI's are enough to protect your headlights from the red position

Mounting it in the Red locations with bubbles out you will get JTG performance anyways

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    I disagree 100%

95% of Cops shot center-mass! Protect your centermass. Otherwise long range centermass punchthroughs are easy pickings
    You must have been posting at the same time I was!

I agree with you that most LEO's are probably going to shoot 1st for the center mass because it's easiest...but the general consensus from what I have read on here is the that they aim for the reflective surface.

So center mass is the more likely??

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by hadesATL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    I disagree 100%

You must have been posting at the same time I was!

I agree with you that most LEO's are probably going to shoot 1st for the center mass because it's easiest...but the general consensus from what I have read on here is the that they aim for the reflective surface.

So center mass is the more likely??
    Cops are trained to aim first at center-mass and then possibly switch to you headlights.

And as long as you play by the rule of proper jammer ownership and slowdown to Posted Speed Limit and turn off your jammer. You will be 100% perfect.

People are extremely quick to criticize my installation cause my focus has always been center-mass protection for my past 4 years with my 5 different jammer set-ups and I haven't gotten a ticket yet.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

I am just concerned about those fog lights and the top corners of the headlights in the red position. I feel like if you veil that Porsche emblem then the center mass will not be a problem. I would only recommend the blue position for LI.

Luckily caregory4 will be able to test it.
    Last edited by rsatmans; 12-03-2009 at 03:09 PM.