Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default RJ45 LI question

OK, I bench tested my LI. With only 2 heads connected I got a "Check connection" or something alert. With 4 heads I got the "welcome" and it tested out OK with a remote although I didn't check all heads.

I'm installing it now. Have the front wires routed. (PITA getting through to the cabin) and started checking out the rear after disassembling the back of the friggin' car

So, I was thinking about clipping the RJ45 plugs so I wouldn't have to drill really big holes in the car but I noticed that 1 head is wired backwards from the other 3

If you look at the clear plug from the top (tang up) three have the red wire to the left and 1 has the red wire to the right...

WTF?

I emailed Cliff, but I'm in the middle of putting it in and I have a long trip tomorrow evening.

I guess I never would have noticed it if I hadn't thought about clipping the wires.

Lead Foot

Default Re: RJ45 LI question

I've never actually checked the pin out on the connectors.. Double checking with Cliff is probably best. I might take a peek @ mine tomorrow.

Also they're RJ-25 connectors (6-Pin/Contact). RJ-45 is 8-Pin and uses a completely different size connector. RJ 11,14,25 (2, 4, 6 respectively) are all the telephone size plugs.

Power User

Thanks, I get all that RJ stuff mixed up...

I looked at the manual and it said to be sure not to crimp the connector "upside down" if you have to change them...

So either 1 or 3 of mine came from the factory "upside down"... Sort of stuck for now...
    Last edited by srtga; 01-23-2010 at 10:48 PM.

The color orientation is NOT to be used to determine the wire's proper orientation in the RJ11 but rather, there is a smooth side and a rough side to the cable itself. The smooth side is the top of the cable and should be oriented upwards towards the RJ11's locking pin and the rough side is the bottom and should be oriented towards the bottom or the conductor side of the RJ11.

If at ALL possible, DO NOT remove the RJ11 connectors during your install! This is where MOST people make mistakes and mis-crimp their connectors! If you absolutely MUST do so, purchase the proper CAT 5 RJ11 Cable Tool from Lowe's Shop IDEAL 8" Telemaster™ Mulit-tool at Lowes.com using the proper RJ11 connector (your LI installation kit comes with two spare RJ11 connectors) and use ONLY the procedure above to determine the proper orientation of the CAT 5 cable and its mate RJ11 connector.

I hope you found this information useful.

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-Canada/LI-UK/LI-SA
    Last edited by Laser-InterceptorUSA; 01-24-2010 at 03:05 AM.

Power User

I got the tool from Lowes and re-crimped them smooth side up and everything is working great!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Laser-InterceptorUSA View Post
    The color orientation is NOT to be used to determine the wire's proper orientation in the RJ11 but rather, there is a smooth side and a rough side to the cable itself. The smooth side is the top of the cable and should be oriented upwards towards the RJ11's locking pin and the rough side is the bottom and should be oriented towards the bottom or the conductor side of the RJ11.

If at ALL possible, DO NOT remove the RJ11 connectors during your install! This is where MOST people make mistakes and mis-crimp their connectors! If you absolutely MUST do so, purchase the proper CAT 5 RJ11 Cable Tool from Lowe's Shop IDEAL 8" Telemaster™ Mulit-tool at Lowes.com using the proper RJ11 connector (your LI installation kit comes with two spare RJ11 connectors) and use ONLY the procedure above to determine the proper orientation of the CAT 5 cable and its mate RJ11 connector.

I hope you found this information useful.

Also, when you crimp RJ connectors, you just slide the wire in and then crimp? No stripping right?

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post

Also, when you crimp RJ connectors, you just slide the wire in and then crimp? No stripping right?
    No, the insulation on the CAT 5 cable must be stripped leaving the insulation still remaining on the 6 sub-wires within the CAT 5 cable.

Power User

No, the insulation on the CAT 5 cable must be stripped leaving the insulation still remaining on the 6 sub-wires within the CAT 5 cable.

Sorry, I meant the outside jacket must be stripped the inside wires do not right?

Correct!

Power User

Sorry, I meant the outside jacket must be stripped the inside wires do not right?
    the little wires are never stripped because when you crimp the little prongs cut through the small wires and make contact with each of the 6 wires...
    BTW it's RJ12 not RJ11 or Rj45...