I finally finished installing my Laser Interceptor dual head jamming system in my '08 Lotus Elise. With all the hanging upside down and contorting to fit my frame under the dash of the Elise, I think I need to make an appointment with the Chiropractor.
I'm putting this up to help guide any other brave souls that want to go this route.
Make sure you get good clean power. My first effort tried to tap into power from the stereo which was also sharing power with the V1. This lead to getting an error message ("sensor #2 is going bad" - quite frustrating). Cliff was very helpful in taking the sensor back, testing it and found it was OK. He told me that the processor inside needed a decent amount of power. I tried the unit on a second vehicle and it worked fine. My conclusion was that this unit was sensitive and needed good clean power.
Found fuses in the passenger side footwell and added a fuse tap to get a power connection without needing to splice into any wires. You can see how the tap connects to the spot where there was a fuse - just move it to the first position - then add a fuse for your needs. In this case, the tap provided switchable power.
Next, I mounted the "CPU" unit. This is where the sensors connect and the harness plugs in. You will see two harnesses power, ground and switching on the left and a Serial cable on the right. I'm using the serial cable to connect to a "parking assist" switch. Since this was also the port to connect to a computer, I wanted it to be accessible. Mounted next to the driver's side switch stack for easy access to the harnesses and sensor wires.
The switches were stealthly mounted inside the little cubby on the left of the steering wheel. The closest switch is the on/off switch and the one behind controls the "mode" of the unit - switching from JAM to Parking Assist.
Now to running the leads for the transceivers. I used the included hardware and found mounting positions just inside the front grill. I removed the two outside clip tabs to accommodate the sensors. The grill still mounts securely using the two inboard top clips. The brackets were screwed into the fiberglass using the included screws. I still need to black out the rivets.
All of the exposed wiring was covered in mesh wire loom and zip tied. Here you can see the wire routing to the rear and up in the foam padding gap around the radiator. I used some stiff wire to fish the sensor wires up.
This is where the sensor wires come up through the space by the foam gasket. Zip tied town and routed to the drivers side.
Now to get the sensor wires into the cabin. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the firewall straight down from this hole in the plastic part (next to the brake fluid reservoir). I used a grommet to protect the wires and fill the hole. The sensor wires then connect to the back of the CPU.
Here is the finished view of the sensors up front. You have to get down low to see them. At this point, I hit them with my laser rangefinder that I use for golf - after hitting each, I hear the alarm followed by "unknown gun". Success!
Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this. BTW - I used the 10% discount code provided in this forum - thanks! Now its time to hit the streets and see if this saves my bacon.