Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Red face Received LI dual 8 Today ... Where to place on 335i e92 ??

I just received my LI dual by mail today and I am really looking foward to install them. ( Or should I say have them installed ) ...

Only thing is I have two concerns :

I live in a province where I am pretty sure, even if it's in a grey area, that laser jammers are illegal ... Well the web says it is but I can't find the law principle that explains it so I am sceptical.

Therefore, I would like to have a stealth installation as much as possible.

I also thought about mounting them in the grill, but I read that it is not such a good idea and that I will lose some efficiency.

Here is a picture of a car exactly like mine (black) with the aero lip, because I didn't have any on my computer with the right angle. Thanks in advance

PS . Right now the lower mesh grille is standard grey but I will probably get it painted black. Since the LI heads are also black, could they be kind of unnoticed ?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Received LI dual 8 Today ... Where to place on 335i e92 ??

On this car there's no really good place for them, but cutting into the grill to mount the heads horizontal is considered the best, contrary to what you believe. Sorry. The general idea is: stealth the car, not the install. In other words, if the heads are hidden but don't work good that way then you've wasted your money. Get them to work, even if they stick out visually. Even then it would still be hard to notice the heads through the sights of a lidar gun especially when you're moving.

One thing that helps disguise the heads is a black grill like in the picture. Do you have black grills? If not they are relatively cheap and IMHO, look better than the standard chromed grills (they're just chrome coated; AFAIK all BMW grills are plastic) on most colors.

Some other tips:

Mounting low risks not picking up the lidar in the first place. If it doesn't detect the laser it won't jam. So get them above the lower grill.

Make sure they are level and face perfectly straight ahead.

Generally speaking, the heads are meant to be mounted horizontal. If you have the HP heads this should theoretically not be so critical as they have two diodes one with horizontal and one with vertical polarization. However, the grills themselves are not exactly vertical and the "fins" of the grill are not directed perfectly forward. This means that you would still have to do some cutting of the grill to get it aligned correctly even if you did mount them vertical.

Test the install. And I don't mean with a TV remote or even a specialized jammer tester. They just test to see if it's wired up and working. You want to know that it can, in fact, jam a lidar gun. Find someone (there's plenty on this website, hopefully someone close by) with a lidar gun who is willing to shoot you with it to see if the LI can jam it. But don't ask a cop. You may have to fine tune the position of the heads and this is only way to do it. Several times a year these people hold "meets" where us enthusiasts get together and you can test your install. I am not aware of any professional shops that test in this way.

When being hit with a lidar, don't leave it on to jam all the way to the gun (JTG). Adjust speed then turn it off. This is called jam to kill (JTK) and lets the LEO get your speed when it is within no-ticket-giving limits. Hopefully, the LEO will just think that he had a randomly hard time getting a reading at first and will be none the wiser.

Good luck.

Cheers.

V1 1.7 v2.909 w/CD and remote audio
    LE-30 RIP
    BCT-7

Wow that was a quick answer ... I already ordered a set of black grilles a few weeks ago but find it a bit sad that I will have to cut them lol.. Also, what would you use to do the cutting in a nice clean way ? Do you know any websites where I could see pictures of this kind of install ? I have been looking at LI videos and installs in the last month and only heard of this possibility but never saw any picture.

Thanks again.

Oh and btw, since I live in Quebec, Canada, it seems like nobody here is aware of the existence of laser jammers so I might have a hard time finding somebody with a LIDAR gun willing to shoot my car ... Even if I don't have particularly good experiences with cops ( although I am a cool and polite person ), a friend of mine is a "good cop" and I might ask for his help if I don't find any alternative .... He's the one who suggested me and my friends (only I did) get radar detectors because he thinks the growing tickets business is a nonsense !!

Power User

Last edited by v1user; 09-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.

I read that Tambourine-Man who's active on this forum and plenty others managed to mount his LI heads vertically in the grilles and got JTG results 5 times out of 5. I don't have the exact link but should I be considering the possibility ?

Banned

Will they fit in the headlights? They will work well there if installed correctly. I would assume

That is the most stealth you can do, get someone with a lidar gun after install to test it out. Or there is mounting them vertical in the upper grills one either side closest to the headlights.

Newcomer

Your bumper is similar to mine. I'd run them vertically in your kidney grills towards the outher edges IF the slats are perfectly perpendicular. On my car, my kidney grill slats are somewhat angled so I will most likely be placing them in the outer edges of the lower grills, adjacent to the the fogs.

OR as someone else mentioned, you could throw them INSIDE your headlights and then you can justify the angel eye upgrade while you're at it, lol.
    Last edited by dji203; 03-16-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by 335i8-50 View Post
    a friend of mine is a "good cop" and I might ask for his help if I don't find any alternative .... He's the one who suggested me and my friends (only I did) get radar detectors because he thinks the growing tickets business is a nonsense !!
    Please don't tell him about laser jammers as he will definitely eventually let it slip. Tell one wrong person and the whole department can know about it. One departement turns into one province. Soon enough, we'll all be fu(ked. Welcome btw.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dji203 View Post
    Your bumper is similar to mine. I'd run them vertically in your kidney grills towards the outher edges IF the slats are perfectly perpendicular. On my car, my kidney grill slats are somewhat angled so I will most likely be placing them in the outer edges of the lower grills, adjacent to the the fogs.

OR as someone else mentioned, you could throw them INSIDE your headlights and then you can justify the angel eye upgrade while you're at it, lol.
    ^^this, and they don't have to be perfectly perp. There are members here who have the LI's in the outer most slats vertically and they perform well. putting any two jammers in the lower air dam near the fogs on an E9x is considered fail.Note that I have 4 blinders protecting the front of my E90.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by 335i8-50 View Post
    Also, what would you use to do the cutting in a nice clean way ?
    Dremel tool and patience works well