Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default LI quad placement advice on 07 Impala

I am in Dallas TX drive an 07 Impala and getting ready to order LI quad to keep my V1 company. Any advice on front and rear placement would be appreciated.

Professional

Default Re: LI quad placement advice on 07 Impala

Alright, you've got a bit of a predicament here with your car.
    The front is absolutely no problem, mount in these locations with the sensor bubbles facing outwards towards the headlights:

The rear however is the problem. We currently have a bill in the Texas senate that has already been passed in the house with only one representative in opposition of the bill that will outlaw the use of a jamming device effective September 1st. Depending on your location in DFW the local authorities may very well be able to identify the jammer when it is mounted in the best possible location on your vehicle unless your car happens to be black. The jammer ban should not be anything to discourage you from using a jammer as speeding is also illegal, most likely more expensive for the ticket and will come with points on your license. At least the jammer can prevent the points on the license which are truly the most important part. The ideal mounting position would be here:

You can try mounting near the plate or we can even do a mini test in the area where we temporarily mount the heads in different locations and just have the wires coming out of a window from the car. I would not expect a plate mounted LI to give you proper coverage on your vehicle though. When I shoot the rears of vehicles as they pass me, I am off to the side of the road as most police officers will be. The first position I target on the vehicle is the taillight as it is the closest point on the car to me that acts likes a large reflector and is easiest to hit at the time I am shooting. If any officer shoots like I do then a license plate mounted jammer on your vehicle will most likely have a very difficult time protecting you at less than 500ft as the beam of the laser gun is too small and too far away from the LI sensor to be detected and jammed. It is possible to get readings even further than that on a vehicle as well. In my testing of an Impala with my old Laser Atlanta with a plate mounted LI I was able to PT around 500ft away.
    Last edited by Woodscolby; 04-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Newcomer

Thanks. Very helpful. A decision to be made on my part for sure.
    Last edited by bluemax; 05-04-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Newcomer

I just talked to my car stereo guy and he will install in the red bar areas. I will have him hard-wire my V1 at the same time. Any benefit to having my V1 attached to my LI processor?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I just talked to my car stereo guy and he will install in the red bar areas. I will have him hard-wire my V1 at the same time. Any benefit to having my V1 attached to my LI processor?
    No, I'd leave separate and not integrated. Otherwise, the false alerts will play through the LI speaker.

Cliff told me to wait until there's a LI software update.

Professional

Woodscolby is right on the money about everything.
    Make sure bubbles are inward on that rear install.

Newcomer

Bubbles inward? I thought bubbles were on the tail light sides?

Professional

Since the LI heads are already going to be mounted at the tail lights, the sensor bubbles need to be aimed inwards towards the center of the car in order to provide the best possible reception to a shot that is more central on the rear of the car.

Newcomer

Do you have any pics from a rear tail light install that I can mirror?

Professional

Cliff's(The LI USA Distributor's) old mercedes install:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...r-install.html