New to all this so maybe this is old news for some folks here but I didn't see this information yesterday after I installed my LI so here goes... (to do his you only need to borrow a laser range finder from any hunter that you know)
1. Install the LI system on your car (fairly obvious that one)
2. Download the software and connect to the LI with a serial/USB converter cable from your trusty laptop
3. Enable the "unknown gun" which appears to be disabled in the LI device by default
4. Wait until it is dark
5. Set up your video camera on a tripod in "night mode" pointing at the LI heads
6. Start recording a video
7. Power up the system and keep your eyes away from it for safety - you see it blinking a bit in "park mode"
8. Shoot the laser range finder into each sensor while keeping your face/eyes well back - you won't see anything as you do this. The alert "unknown gun" should sound.
9. Stop everything and play back the video you made - you should see each sensor flash brightly in response to the range finder and blink more dimly in park mode.
Hope this helps .. like most folks I don't have access to a LIDAR gun but this experiment gave me much more confidence that the thing will work when it comes to crunch time.