Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What types of Plastic will LI pass through?

I've read that Perspex/Lucite will work fine at is the same material that the case of the LI lens is made from. Is Plexiglass the same stuff and could I got with it totall being opaque or what % of light transmission is acceptable.

I know I'm sacrificing some performance for privacy but as more states adopt more laws its time to stealth up.

I've spent some time looking for dark lucite and came across plexiglass which is chemically identically just using a trade name. Is this correct?

FWIW I think we should all start stealthing up the way these new state laws are going.

Default Re: What types of Plastic will LI pass through?

That is correct but only some types of Plexi act as Perspex does, that is, allow all spectrums of light to pass including what we are looking for transmission of, IR at 904 nm.

Watch here: http://www.bezpokut.sk/video/perspex_and_glasses.mov

Cliff
    Last edited by Laser-InterceptorUSA; 05-17-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Good Citizen

Thanks Cliff. My LI's should be arriving in a few days. Got em from Radarbusters.

In your opinion what sort of degradation in performance can I expect using a 1/8 inch piece of Lucite. And how dark should I go or does it matter?

If I can't find Lucite how do I know with type of plexiglass will work?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by STI_Boy View Post
    Thanks Cliff. My LI's should be arriving in a few days. Got em from Radarbusters.

In your opinion what sort of degradation in performance can I expect using a 1/8 inch piece of Lucite. And how dark should I go or does it matter?

If I can't find Lucite how do I know with type of plexiglass will work?
    As I said in your other thread, you most certainly want to test your install before going live with it. Obstructions of any kind are not recommended. The jammer may work fine for some guns, but may be incinerated by others.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Good Citizen

@cliff is this the stuff? http://www.usacustomplastics.com/ind...roducts_id=216

@PMoth I look forward to being able to test the install, maybe the next Buffalo meet

You'll have to check the specs. This is why I only recommend Perspex as I am familiar with it's IR transmission.

Cliff

Yoda of Radar

Just remember that light transmission is not the only relevant factor. The obstruction's effect on the light dispersal can also have a significant effect on the jammer's competency. It would take exhaustive first-hand testing before I would put total faith in it.

Not to mention that, putting your heads behind Perspex will require you to recess them so much that it will seriously diminish your off axis performance.

I guess it varies by install, but I'm not so sure that this is a realistic step towards stealth. Think like a cop. If an officer is looking at your grille in the first place, it means he already strongly suspects jammers. In that case, a piece of tinted Perspex in a place it doesn't belong is no less suspicious than the LI heads themselves. And on the rear of your vehicle, Perspex is going to make the jammer even more obvious. I really don't see how this is going to be helpful.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll stick to where my m20's have been. Work well so far.

Extensive testing has been done with Perspex and there are no affects on either transmission nor reception of IR. It actually works quite well but we only recommend it for areas where the use of LCM and subsequent penalties are harsh such as parts of the EU and Canada.

Cliff

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by STI_Boy View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll stick to where my m20's have been. Work well so far.
    Where are your current jammers?