Newcomer

Default LI advice for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata - Lots of chrome up front...

Hi there,

I am seriously considering the purchase of a set of LI dual or quads. I am curious how much of a challenge my car would be because of the amount of chrome up front. The grill, wraparound headlights, driving lights and even the turn signals on the side mirrors. I almost feel that a quad with all four up front is the best way to go, but then that leaves the rear unprotected. Below is an example of the front. The grill below looks gray/brushed, but on mine it is very reflective plastic chrome. My car's paint is black, BTW. Any advice?

Last edited by Drexx3; 08-18-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Default Re: LI advice for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata - Lots of chrome up front...

Quote Originally Posted by Drexx3 View Post
    Hi there,

I am seriously considering the purchase of a set of LI dual or quads. I am curious how much of a challenge my car would be because of the amount of chrome up front. The grill, wraparound headlights, driving lights and even the torn signals on the side view mirrors. I almost feel that a quad with all four up front is the best way to go, but then that leaves the read unprotected. Below is an example of the front. The grill below looks gray/brushed, but on mine it is very reflective plastic chrome. My car's paint is black, BTW. Any advice?

Here is my take on it. I think the mirrors while a potential target will probably not be hit by most LEOs today. The focus will be the headlights, fog lights, and front license plate if you have one. I would try to keep the heads as close to 18" from the center of each of these locations as possible. As I'm sure you've already discovered that might be difficult to do with the LI Dual. I had the same issue with my vehicle and while the dual covered it 95% of the time, I did have a couple of PT issues until I adjusted the placement. Get it tested preferably by multiple guns and with guns specific to your area. If you want to be sure get the quad and place in the upper and lower grilles. Good luck.

Professional

Duals would be fine. I would put the duals in the 2nd grill slot from the bottom.

If you are paranoid, get an extra sensor head. Then put two sensors under the lights by the 'teardrop' where it meets the grill. Then center the last head in the middle of the grill.

Then call Cliff to test it since you are in FL

Advanced Member

The old 18" Blinder rule does not apply to Laser Interceptors. Their field of view is far better than Blinder.

I'd install them in the grill, second slot from the top. Bubbles out, leveled, aligned...
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Power User

OP,

The LI dual will work on the front of a F-150 which has a larger frontal area than your car so a reg LI dual should work just fine on your car. However, always get your set up tested to check for effectiveness / weak spots etc.

Mobile Installer

Best Performance under the headligts in front. Good Luck

Experienced

Try 2 and test it. If they can get PTs on the grill maybe tape it up and try again. If you JTG after the tape then if you wanted you could paint the grill.

Newcomer

Thanks for the input. I'm saving up so hopefully soon I should be able to get something. I've also been considering replacing the grill with something a little more muted.
    Thanks again.

Speed Demon

My neighbor has the exact same car. Every time I walk past it, I often think of how much of a PITA that grill would be to house any kind of jammer heads. Good luck, that's not an easy vehicle to work with.