Thread: Cold feet

Default Cold feet

So I had purchased an L1 Quad STir Plus combo from Cliff but couldn't close the deal with the Mrs. As she'll drive the car,too.

I will say Cliff is a pro, knows his stuff.

No salesman, please. Just honest advice.

I'm in CO, jammers are illegal. I know, so is speeding. But the leo isn't going to arrest me or confiscate my car if I get a speeding ticket. According to the law, they can do both. I also travel to Utah once a year to ski. They're illegal there, too.

CO State Patrol are narly, you don't want to mess with them. Never had to deal with one in Utah, but I'm guessing they're just as bad.

I been in businees a long time, I know the score. The marketing lingo is just that.

1. Stealth, schmelth. The leo has a browser, too. They know exactly what they look like and where to look. As soon as they walk up to your car, they can see the device.

2. "Yeah, but I use it for parking detection, sir". In law that's called "wink and a nod". The leo will tell me to tell it the judge. The judge will tell me guilty. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, is a duck. And, it's a new car. So I doubt the leo will buy a story of, "I bought the car with it installed, I'll take it off next week, promise". And the leo up here in the mountains are the same guys all the time. They'd be looking for me.

So let's throw any notion out of this being legal in states like CO, with tough laws. If you install one in CO, caveat emptor.

But I'm all ears. I'd love to hear from anyone in CO with LI gear. Are you married? Do you have kids? What's your level of comfort with risk?

3. For those in states with harsh weather. Does the jammer still work if it's caked in snow and ice?

4. For those with newer cars under warranty, particularly Audi owners. I have a new A7. The install isn't exactly simple. Audi's can have electrical issues. I can see my dealer trying to point a finger at my detection gear. Cliff doesn't cover my car if something goes wrong. Has anyone had any electrical issues related to the gear? If so, how did the dealer handle it? Did they try to deny coverage?

5. How reliable has the gear been? I had one guy tell me the LI gear over heats.

6. Install. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with a STiR Plus. Is it "simple" enough to add the LI gear after the fact? Or, is it like doing it from scratch? Can it be installed so that the STir Plus can run independant of the LI, with the LI gear off? Perhaps I could install the gear so that my wife doesn't know how to turn the LI gear on. This wouldn't save me when calling her from jail, but at least I'd feel better about it when she's driving the car with my kids in it.

That's all for now. Really appreciate your comments, thanks in advance.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Cold feet

What model car are you planning to install the LI in?

2012 A7 Prestige.

Good Citizen

If "Laser Tamers" ever become a reality that would be a game-changer for folks in states where laser jammers are illegal.

Newcomer

On the first part about the ice, they definitely won't work with ice and snow packed on them. The light transmittance would be severely impacted I'm sure.

On the part about the electrical issues with the Audi, the install really doesn't mess with the electronics all that much. You're simply just tapping one of your fuses, probably cigarette lighter or something. Worst case scenario, you just pop out your Add-A-Circuit and it is like nothing ever happened. Your car won't know the difference between a cell phone charging off that fuse, or jammers wired into it. My BMW is going back to stock when I turn it in, all I have to do is remove my little circuit I've added in the fuse box and yank all my wires back out that run into the car. The electrical wire connections are extremely simple to setup. The routing of all that wiring is another story. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard. Depends on the car firewall setup.

On the STi-R part, they will always run independently. You will always have your choice of what is turned on and off. They have separate power switches, but pull power off the same source, assuming you wire them that way. Put the jammer switch in some hidden spot and tell her it's some electronic stability control switch or something she would never touch, or just make up some story, so she won't turn it on ever. That's if you want to hide it from her, up to you, don't blame me if she figures you're lying. When you drive, just flip it on and turn it off when you're done. Unless you JTG, then you probably won't have any issues with LEOs, especially if they are mounted in a stealth way. If you're aren't jamming, and you are just driving down the highway, the LEO isn't going to spot them if you're cruising 70 and he is parked shooting LIDAR. Now if you JTG or are already pulled over, then it's really a crapshoot on whether he notices them. I'm not too worried about my 2 heads in CA, just an equipment ticket at most, and an unlikely ticket at that.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gangee View Post
    So I had purchased an L1 Quad STir Plus combo from Cliff but couldn't close the deal with the Mrs. As she'll drive the car,too.

I'm in CO, jammers are illegal. I know, so is speeding. But the leo isn't going to arrest me or confiscate my car if I get a speeding ticket. According to the law, they can do both. I also travel to Utah once a year to ski. They're illegal there, too.

CO State Patrol are narly, you don't want to mess with them. Never had to deal with one in Utah, but I'm guessing they're just as bad.

I been in businees a long time, I know the score. The marketing lingo is just that.

1. Stealth, schmelth. The leo has a browser, too. They know exactly what they look like and where to look. As soon as they walk up to your car, they can see the device.

2. "Yeah, but I use it for parking detection, sir". In law that's called "wink and a nod". The leo will tell me to tell it the judge. The judge will tell me guilty. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, is a duck. And, it's a new car. So I doubt the leo will buy a story of, "I bought the car with it installed, I'll take it off next week, promise". And the leo up here in the mountains are the same guys all the time. They'd be looking for me.

So let's throw any notion out of this being legal in states like CO, with tough laws. If you install one in CO, caveat emptor.

But I'm all ears. I'd love to hear from anyone in CO with LI gear. Are you married? Do you have kids? What's your level of comfort with risk?

3. For those in states with harsh weather. Does the jammer still work if it's caked in snow and ice?

4. For those with newer cars under warranty, particularly Audi owners. I have a new A7. The install isn't exactly simple. Audi's can have electrical issues. I can see my dealer trying to point a finger at my detection gear. Cliff doesn't cover my car if something goes wrong. Has anyone had any electrical issues related to the gear? If so, how did the dealer handle it? Did they try to deny coverage?

5. How reliable has the gear been? I had one guy tell me the LI gear over heats.

6. Install. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with a STiR Plus. Is it "simple" enough to add the LI gear after the fact? Or, is it like doing it from scratch? Can it be installed so that the STir Plus can run independant of the LI, with the LI gear off? Perhaps I could install the gear so that my wife doesn't know how to turn the LI gear on. This wouldn't save me when calling her from jail, but at least I'd feel better about it when she's driving the car with my kids in it.

I live in Fairfax Virginia. Here everything is illegal except the illegals !

Either grow some balls or get nailed by a set of balls. Its that simple.

As for your kids in the car, I am guessing everyone is driving with both hands on the wheel! So that should not be an issue.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Good Citizen

Meh, stealth install it.

Good Citizen

What is worse a non-moving non-points ticket or a speeding ticket with points that raise your insurance rates for 5 years?

Jam to Kill,man.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gangee View Post

To answer:

4) I installed mine in my 2009 Audi S5 with more than likely the same electronics...the LI will do nothing to void your warranty. There's nothing for it to interfere with in terms of the Audi electronics. I've had mine installed for several years, although I've only had it go off/save me maybe a few times but it's more worth it being there than not. Actually the install is pretty simple, but I would highly recommend thinking out the install BEFORE you jump in it. I can link you to a bunch of photos of my install which I installed myself if you'd like. My install is VERY stealth even though it's legal where I live but I do travel a lot to other states that do have laws against them, but I don't worry much about that.

5) I've never experienced mine getting hot, EVER!

6) You can/could add the LI or the STI-R Plus at any time...together or at different times. However I'd go ahead and do them both at the same time. Just because I wouldn't want to tear my nice new car apart twice. Especially since the STI-R Plus is also a stealth install also.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Grow some nads and play the game.