So I had purchased an L1 Quad STir Plus combo from Cliff but couldn't close the deal with the Mrs. As she'll drive the car,too.
I will say Cliff is a pro, knows his stuff.
No salesman, please. Just honest advice.
I'm in CO, jammers are illegal. I know, so is speeding. But the leo isn't going to arrest me or confiscate my car if I get a speeding ticket. According to the law, they can do both. I also travel to Utah once a year to ski. They're illegal there, too.
CO State Patrol are narly, you don't want to mess with them. Never had to deal with one in Utah, but I'm guessing they're just as bad.
I been in businees a long time, I know the score. The marketing lingo is just that.
1. Stealth, schmelth. The leo has a browser, too. They know exactly what they look like and where to look. As soon as they walk up to your car, they can see the device.
2. "Yeah, but I use it for parking detection, sir". In law that's called "wink and a nod". The leo will tell me to tell it the judge. The judge will tell me guilty. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, is a duck. And, it's a new car. So I doubt the leo will buy a story of, "I bought the car with it installed, I'll take it off next week, promise". And the leo up here in the mountains are the same guys all the time. They'd be looking for me.
So let's throw any notion out of this being legal in states like CO, with tough laws. If you install one in CO, caveat emptor.
But I'm all ears. I'd love to hear from anyone in CO with LI gear. Are you married? Do you have kids? What's your level of comfort with risk?
3. For those in states with harsh weather. Does the jammer still work if it's caked in snow and ice?
4. For those with newer cars under warranty, particularly Audi owners. I have a new A7. The install isn't exactly simple. Audi's can have electrical issues. I can see my dealer trying to point a finger at my detection gear. Cliff doesn't cover my car if something goes wrong. Has anyone had any electrical issues related to the gear? If so, how did the dealer handle it? Did they try to deny coverage?
5. How reliable has the gear been? I had one guy tell me the LI gear over heats.
6. Install. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with a STiR Plus. Is it "simple" enough to add the LI gear after the fact? Or, is it like doing it from scratch? Can it be installed so that the STir Plus can run independant of the LI, with the LI gear off? Perhaps I could install the gear so that my wife doesn't know how to turn the LI gear on. This wouldn't save me when calling her from jail, but at least I'd feel better about it when she's driving the car with my kids in it.
That's all for now. Really appreciate your comments, thanks in advance.