Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default LI Dual HP Installed on 350Z

I installed my new LI system on my Z today. I will provide pics once I recover from the contortions I had to go through in order to get the wiring the way I wanted it in the driver compartment.

Some things of note:

I fashioned my own little brushed aluminum switch plate for the ON/OFF and PA/JAM buttons. I also used industrial strength Velcro to mount the CPU box and the switch plate. This made it unnecessary to cut any holes in the dash yet still provides a clean looking install.

My sensor heads are mounted on a pair of customized black Delrin blocks I had made for my old LPP sensors. It turned out all I needed to do for the LI sensors was attach the black mounting brackets to my Delrin blocks and then mount the sensors on top of the blocks. I did this by drilling and tapping the Delrin with 8-32 machine screw threads on each side.

I also bought some nice black stainless steel screws to mount the sensors.

Default Re: LI Dual HP Installed on 350Z

It sounds great, looking forward to seeing the pics!

Good Citizen

Here are some pics of my installation.

This is the switch plate I fashioned...pretty basic but clean I think. I bought a sheet of 12x12 brushed aluminum from McMaster-Carr. It came with the brushed side protected by an adhesive plastic coating that you peel off when ready. You can get just about anything from McMaster-Carr.

LI Install Interior.jpg

This shot of the sensors shows their symetry and subtle exposure.

LI Sensors Front Install A.jpg

This detail shot shows how the sensors actually protrude from the grill.

LI Sensors Front Install B.jpg

My car is 6 years old, has 30K miles, and is kept covered with a Covercraft car cover. The front of the car is also protected with a Ventureshield clear bra. It's just too pretty to let it get dirty or damaged.

Lead Foot

looks good and clean install but the bubbles on the li heads are supposes to be on the outside

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    looks good and clean install but the bubbles on the li heads are supposes to be on the outside
    Are you sure? I have photos sent to me by Cliff of his Mercedes and the bubbles are on the inside which is why I set mine up that way. Even so, I wonder if it really matters.

nope! both bubbles pointing outwards is recommended.

Depending on the type of headlights (normal vs wrap around), where the sensors are in relation to the midline of the vehicle and Sensor Version, it can go either way. With the new, Gen. 8 CPU and the newer Ver. 8.9 Sensors, we recommend bubbles inwards for wrap around headlights and bubbles outwards for normal or installs where the sensors are very close to the fenders.

Cliff

Nice ride Scrapser. Good install, very neat n tidy. The front heads are nicely tucked away with plenty of vision. I have mine angled outwards a few degrees each as it is rare that the LEO will be directly in front of the car. They are generally on the sides of the road or hiding in the bushes like predators. The bubble argument can go either way depending on so many factors and who you talk to. I went with the bubbles on the inside and the heads angled out at 7˚. This still provides a great degree of overlap at the centre line but offers a bit more "side vision" for the heads. Now some will say that's bad, other will say that's good. It seems to be good for me. Just my 2cents worth!! :-)

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition SS View Post
    Nice ride Scrapser. Good install, very neat n tidy. The front heads are nicely tucked away with plenty of vision. I have mine angled outwards a few degrees each as it is rare that the LEO will be directly in front of the car. They are generally on the sides of the road or hiding in the bushes like predators. The bubble argument can go either way depending on so many factors and who you talk to. I went with the bubbles on the inside and the heads angled out at 7˚. This still provides a great degree of overlap at the centre line but offers a bit more "side vision" for the heads. Now some will say that's bad, other will say that's good. It seems to be good for me. Just my 2cents worth!! :-)
    I hear you. My sensors are mounted exactly where my old LPP sensors were located. You cannot tell if there is a left or right-handedness to the LPP sensors so I just put them on. Never had any problems that I could know about...they both worked. I've thought about angling the LI sensors out slightly as you did...seems logical. The mounts I described above in my original post here are attached using 4 screws. I drilled the mounting holes into the back wall of the grill plus a large center hole to pass the sensor cable through into the engine compartment. I could shim the mounts to achieve a slight outward angle. I'll have to think about it.

A few years back I saw a video of an LPP system taken with an infrared camera. When filming the sensor heads close up in infrared, the black glass looks clear. I suspect the same is true with the LI sensors. I think the glass is polarized actually. The other thing of note was how the infrared light appears coming from the sensors during a test shot. As soon as they came on, the light looked very much like headlights except much more brilliant. I've always wondered if diodes work like flood lights versus spot lights in terms of the light pattern. I suspect they work like flood lights to give full coverage of the area ahead although with a somewhat oval pattern.

Speed Demon

Polarized would tend to decrease IR output,I doubt very much that they are.That would not be beneficial for maximum output !Apply commonsense,why do you wear polarized sunglasses during the day ?
    Last edited by RedRocket; 05-03-2012 at 09:17 AM.