Good Citizen

Default Idea for Rear Sensors on 350Z - Feedback Requested

I don't know if this would be a good idea or not. Since there are no convenient places to mount rear sensors on the 350Z, I was thinking of making a custom bracket that mounts behind the license plate. The bracket would extend upwards and outward enough to position the two sensors as close as possible to the upper left and right corners of the rectangular indent in the rear body panel.

Anyone familiar with the 350Z would know what I'm referring to. The indent overhangs the license plate and underneath is where the rear hatch release button is located. None of the surfaces on the rear of the car are perpendicular to the road (everything is curved) so a bracket could be fashioned to provide the correct orientation. My concerns are...whether the bracket would be stiff enough to prevent vibration, how visible the sensors are (not very stealthy), and would the sensors be too close together? I'm even wondering if only one sensor would be sufficient. It might make the install be a bit less obvious.

Here's a pic.

I do think this would work in terms of protecting the car from rear shots...especially laser speed cameras which are becoming more common in Maryland. Radar speed cameras are actually being replaced with laser versions.

Anyway, I would like to get your feedback.
    Last edited by scrapser; 05-09-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Default Re: Idea for Rear Sensors on 350Z - Feedback Requested

Unless you are willing to entertain an unconventional install under each taillight, that is your only choice. The QUAD already comes with two License Plate mounting brackets to facilitate and install as you described. A single, centrally mounted sensor will not provide adequate protection. Two sensors, even closely spaced, will provide much more protection as you have twice the amount IR going out vs a single sensor.

Cliff

Good Citizen

Thanks for your input Cliff. I didn't know about the brackets you mentioned for the license plate, so that is good news. Where would the sensors be positioned using those brackets? As I mentioned above...I'd like to get them in the upper left and right corners of that rectangle area if possible.

See attached as far the left and right as possible (I know this is a different year but you get the idea):

Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good Citizen

I do get the idea. On my car the rectangle is not as wide but I suppose it would still be okay. For fixed laser speed cameras I assume they are probably aimed at the center of each traffic lane. So long as the little ledge doesn't obscure their view it should work I would think.