Good Citizen

Default LI installation on new BMW: How have people gotten through the firewall?

Seems that a newer 2014 335xi will soon be ordered to replace my 2011 version, which of course has an LI installed.

The newer models, however, seem to be quite different. My quick inspection in the dealer's lot didn't find a place to route the LI's DIN connectors through. With the older LI one could snip the RJ connector, route the wire and recrimp. Not so much with the newer style.

How have those here with newer BMW models gotten the sensor cables through the firewall?

Thanks in advance.

Banned

Default Re: LI installation on new BMW: How have people gotten through the firewall?

Leave the DIN end of the cable in the engine bay. If you need to snip off the RJ, do that, and fish the J or what used to be the RJ end through the firewall.

Good Citizen

Default Re: LI installation on new BMW: How have people gotten through the firewall?

Thanks. Routing without a connector is SO much easier.

This said, is anyone familiar with Firewall access points in the newer F30 series BMW 335/328?

Newcomer

Do they have a similar grommet to the E90's in the driver footwell? That's where I routed mine through.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by stevers View Post
    Do they have a similar grommet to the E90's in the driver footwell? That's where I routed mine through.
    I don't know. My 2014 model isn't here yet. Still on a boat or something.

Wish I had an answer. Gotten many variations, but no definitive answer yet or pics.

Anyone??

Most go through the glove box mounted fuse box. Easy access there.

Cliff

Newcomer

Did you ever figure out a way to route the cable on your 2014 335? I also ordered mine and am expecting it a few weeks. I just ordered a new BMW LI version.

Quote Originally Posted by jws3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevers View Post
    I don't know. My 2014 model isn't here yet. Still on a boat or something.

Wish I had an answer. Gotten many variations, but no definitive answer yet or pics.

Anyone??

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sailor_david View Post
    Did you ever figure out a way to route the cable on your 2014 335? I also ordered mine and am expecting it a few weeks. I just ordered a new BMW LI version.
    At the outset, THERE IS NO RUBBER "NIPPLE" as in the E90 cars.

There is, however, a grommet to the left of the of under hood fuse box (right in front of the passenger seat). Once the plastic trim is removed one can see the grommet to the left of the fusebox. Actually, there are two. I used the rightmost of the two. See this thread and my 12/21/13 post from a BMW board:

Firewall Access?

Quote Originally Posted by Laser-InterceptorUSA View Post
    Most go through the glove box mounted fuse box. Easy access there.

Cliff
    +1
    That's how i opted to route the wiring on both my 2006 750Li and my 2006 M5