Cheetah Rep

Default define "level" jammer

i have a question i need help with.

all the jammer companies always say to "mount level to the roadway".

now my question is; is this necessarily the best (optimal) position?

the reason i ask is because for example, "center mass" on my truck is about 3' high. my heads are level and at this height they are at their "brightest" when viewed through a camera.
    meaning if i put a camera lens level to them and light up the jammer, it will dim in output as i move the camera up or down.

now most officers aren't 3' in height, and for a smaller car with level heads, this could be 1.5-2' in height.

if they are 6' tall and hold the gun around shoulder length, say 5' for simplicity, wouldn't they be aiming down towards my vehicle?

if so, the heads wouldn't be "square and level" with the gun, they would be level with the road.
    wouldn't we want the brightest part of the jammer aimed at the gun for better jamming power?

i had a camera 25' away, centered on my truck. i put it at heights of 2', 3' and 5'. i shot my Marksman from 100' away. the heads appeared "brightest" at the 3' mark. at 5', the approximate height of the gun, they weren't quite as bright.

so would there be any kind of formula, for this?

maybe something like, at 5' (gun height) at x amount of distance, the heads need to be at y angle above level?

this would require maybe knowing the average targeting distance.

hopefully this makes sense.
    any thoughts on this, or would this not even matter enough?

we know side angles affect performance, and we are guessing overpass shots may also affect this (until someone does a thorough test anyway), so would height of the shooter matter too?

thanks.

Lead Foot

That's a great question, I have thought about that myself.

It would seem to me that at 1000' or more, the difference in angle from the lidar source to your car's center mass (degrees) between the lidar gun being held at 3' or 5' would be nill and thusly no effect on jamming peformance.

This is purley speculation, I'd be interested to hear what other members thoughts.

Suf Daddy

Agree with Racer X
    -Suf Daddy

Leo 6 feet tall, car top is 5' high, trucks a bit taller....

Cheetah Rep

good, i'm glad that question made sense.

i'm thinking the best way to test this would be to use a tripod and try and keep certain variables as consistent as possible, such as targeting distance, speed, angle from gun, and targeting area.
    do some base runs then try the heads at different angles.

yeah, maybe further out it wouldn't matter much, but closer shots who knows. i still want to see some overpass testing too. with heads level and pointed up some.

the hardest part is finding an overpass to do this on, plus somewhere for the target vehicle to turn around easily.

Suf Daddy

It should be easy to test.

With THAT HUGE range finder....................

Just target a stationary vehicle in jam mode, then move off axis (in the Y or Z axis) and see if you get a range & 0 speed reading......

This should allow you to approx the area of the light emitted from the jammer Tx head.

Then shape and angling can be determined from there.........

-Suf Daddy

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Suf Daddy
    With THAT HUGE range finder....................

-Suf Daddy

EDIT- disregard and see below.
    when i shoot the Blinder i can get 0 and range. actually last night when i did this i had just moved my ZR3 head down and it actually "jammed" me stationary and gave an E0 code (E02 i think), so i may need to try something else since the Blinder will give me a range reading.

i think i need a long extension cord so i can plug my range finder in and use it without another vehicle to plug into.

Suf Daddy

If your getting a range its a debate on whether your jamming or not......

IF the diodes overpower the LIDAR unit, you'll get no range / distance.

However, there is the school of thought that if the vehicle moves the additional measurements used to see if the vehicle is moving, then to calculate a speed reading, would have a hard time fitting (to algorthym - least squares) return pulses to calculate a speed.

Therefore, you'd hear the LTI Marksman "counting" or working; "ditt, ditt, ditt", but no reading would display......... This would be considered a "jam", but so would and E-01, E-02, E-03 code.........because no speed would be displayed and the unit would stop counting and pulsing for a reading of your vehicle. The operator would have to trigger the gun again.......

Units I've tested like the Z3 and blinder (AFAIK) would produce no reading at all on the Marksman until punch through.

-Suf Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    When i shoot the Blinder i can get 0 and range. actually last night when i did this i had just moved my ZR3 head down and it actually "jammed" me stationary and gave an E0 code (E02 i think), so i may need to try something else since the Blinder will give me a range reading.

Cheetah Rep

well i got myself a new toy, one of those portable power packs like we had at the GOL test.

this thing is too cool, plus it has a compressor built in to air tires, etc.

anyway i got to do some more testing this afternoon and yes the Blinder will also jam in stationary mode. what was happening last time is it was dark and i was panning too far from the heads and got some readings.

now i can test this further. first i'll get some "base" shots to work with.
    then i'll do some front and extreme angle shots.

i think i'll get out a ladder and do some high work too.

maybe get on the roof now that i have the battery pack. i've probably got about 300 workable feet to play with at my house.

i'll keep everyone informed.