I would like to ask you a few questions and get some ideas about jammers and their performance in European Small - Medium Cars mostly used around Europe and especially here in Greece.
I prepared two (2) pictures I found. The 1st one is my current car and the 2nd one the car I'm willing to buy next year or so. Of course the licences plates are either not present, or plates the maker used for presentation reasons.
Let me give you some hints first.
1. The maker is Opel / Vauxhall, the EU branch of GM. The model is Astra G 3d (1st) and GTC (2nd) which is the 3d version of the new Astra 3rd Gen.
2. The dimensions are almost identical for both cars. Most EU cars of the same cat. have the same dimensions more or less. The dimensions are (in SI system - meters): 4.30x1.73x1.43 LxWxH for the newer and bigger one.
3. The color is silver and very dark grey (in picture you see the medium grey) for the 1st and 2nd one respectively. The colors are (especially the silver for the 1st one) among the most common for this kind of cars around here.
4. The shape of these cars is shown in the photos 3 and 4. So, you know how the frontal area looks like.
5. The motors are from 1.4 lt with 90 Hp to 2.0 lt with 240 Hp and the weight is from 1100 Kg to 1500 Kg depending of the motor and the equipment used.
6. My car is silver and always shinning like a mirror. The new one will be dark grey and always shinning again. I use Laser Shield + Veil on licence plate and headlights and I'm going to use it to the next car too.
7. The police here uses laser 90% (except the Gatso and mini-Gatso cameras). From the guns they use, 90% are Ultralytes, with some Jenoptics Laser Patrols and Kustom Prolaser III (very small number).
8. They usually aim higher than they do in US. They prefer the hood, the headlights etc. The lowest they aim is the Licence Plate which is European Style, big and reflective, and it's illegal to remove it.
9. The police uses the guns from different distances. In the National Roads were the speed limit is 120 Km/h and everybody travel at 140+ they aim even at 1 Km of distance so they can stop you easily afterwards. They sit in parkings or other open places where they can stop the offenders and they aim even 3-4 lanes to the right (good test GOL, very realistic for Greece). In the other roads with 1-2 lanes they use the same profile, but for shorter distances, lets say 500m or even 250m after some turns where you can't see them. Sometimes, they lay down in bridges and aim from high above the hood of the oncoming cars. They hide in bushes and other strange places etc.
Image 1 - Opel Astra G 3d (1998 - 2004)
Image 2 - Opel Astra GTC (2004 - 2010)
Image 3 - Opel Astra G Shape
Image 4 - Opel Astra GTC Shape
Now, you have all the info needed to judge what is best for me and the rest of the people around here with such cars. I will ask some more specific questions now.
As you see in Image 1 (if you look really close the grille) the problem with my car is that I can't use the grille to hide the jammers as the grille is too dense. On the other hand the eblem of Opel has a big hole under the lighting so a small jammer head (like lidatek's or Lt400's or AL's) or laser sensor (like the Bel 966's or DS's) can be put in there.
1. Which is the best mounting position for this car? I have pointed certain spots as you see, but I want some other opinions before I take any decisions.
2. If I put the jammer heads in the grille under the licence plate (yellow spots) will it be possible to avoid PunchTroughts - PT from the plate? Will it be possible to detect shots on the hood?
3. In my new car I marked certain spots also. What do you think about them? Are these spots good to protect me? Is it better to put the jammer heads on the two upper or the two lower positions?
4. I want a jammer that with one controller can control 3 heads or 2 heads and 1 sensor. Are any products available? I want small, laser diode jammers, as the space is not enough for the big Blinder heads, so the M-40 or M-45 is no acceptable due to this problem.
And now, before closing two more things.
1. The cars I ask are very well known in EU. They are in a cat. that the VW Golf leads (it's the VW Jetta cut to the back) and millions of cars are sold, so my problem is problem for many many people here in Greece and the rest of Europe.
2. We will soon test some jammers ourselves against Jenoptics Laser Patrol laser gun. We hope we can test Lt400, LE-30, Blinder M-20, AL 7.0 and some detectors like Bel 966 and 550, Snooper S5-R and some others against the same gun and at different distances with or without Laser Shield and Veil. We hope the test will be done until the end of June and the results will follow.
Thnx for you time.