Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How often do cops snipe from behind?

I have the AL8 coming in tomorrow (Friday), bought it direct from AL. I was planning on putting both heads on my front, even though I have a smallish 4 door sedan (1999 Maxima). I figure since my car is silver it'll be worth it just for extra protection to get two heads. But now I'm thinking I may want to put one of them in the rear?

Can someone tell me how often cops laser from behind? I am in VA, I won't be traveling much out of VA too often.

On a separate note, where would you put the diode on the back?

Thanks,
    Dan

Old Timer

Happened to me a total of 2 times out of the 100 or so ive been shot

it happens

Scratonicity Groupie

in DE i've been hit 1 time out of 50. I'll be doing a lot of Jam From Gun testing to see if its worth while with one unit on the back so hang tight. I'll also try different locations.

at the GoL event sethy placed one AL right above the licence plate and got decent results on his silver cavalier.

more to come during the next few weeks!

Professional

bought it direct from AL
    What makes you decide to buy from AL versus Kmph from UK ?

Is there any advantage one versus the other ?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by 411
    bought it direct from AL

He wants a juiced unit, lol. Hey who doesn't.

Seriously, regarding the posters question, does it matter, it only takes ONE time and your SOL. Hopefully with more testing to come, you will have more confidence in the possiblity of one head being able to protect you, but be aware, odd angles or a sharp shooting officer that targets other parts of your car may get lucky PTs.

You can look at it this way, go with two heads upfront and be very confident to have the ability of JTG, OR go with one head front and back and trust in the ability to jam the laser jun untill you can get your speed down before up close PT happens.

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by amoney

Seriously, regarding the posters question, does it matter, it only takes ONE time and your SOL.
    Hell yeah!
    i'd take a juiced unit as long as it doesn't die from being pushed too hard.
    that's like calling up VR or someone and asking for an "average performer". i want the top performer.

And yeah, it only takes one time to ruin your day.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Quote Originally Posted by 411
    bought it direct from AL

Seriously, regarding the posters question, does it matter, it only takes ONE time and your SOL. Hopefully with more testing to come, you will have more confidence in the possiblity of one head being able to protect you, but be aware, odd angles or a sharp shooting officer that targets other parts of your car may get lucky PTs.

You can look at it this way, go with two heads upfront and be very confident to have the ability of JTG, OR go with one head front and back and trust in the ability to jam the laser jun untill you can get your speed down before up close PT happens.
    Yeah I told them to make sure it performs up to standards after I sent them the wire Haha, jk. Well, actually, I did tell them to make sure everything works good and all (they never made a comment back about that comment), it was worth a shot.

One reason I didn't order through Kmph is I sent them an e-mail and they never got back. They must be busy, I don't know. All I know is I hope I get the parking sensor manual.

For now I guess I'll stick two heads up front.. need to do some research on mounting cuz i'm a complete noob at this stuff. :?

Banned

For the past month I've noticed ALOT of police officers sitting way back on the on ramp and shooting cars driving by. If you're not paying extremely close attention to every single on ramp you pass you'll get busted :-(

It's almost like the laser gun manufacturers sent out a memo to the departments telling them how to be more effective....

JTW

Experienced

I've been hit a couple times in the rear. Here was my report of a rear attack trap.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=8539

Since then I've been hit a few more times but have noticed that WSP predominately shoots from head on from the shoulder. I passed a trap today on the freeway. Moto cop pulled to the shoulder, hopped off and started shooting his PLIII. I saw him wave over at least one car. This are was on the freeway and breifly stepped out into the lane to wave the car down. I thought he was nuts.

As for your setup, well we really need more tests to know how effective a single head is. I'd concerned that at closer range the beam could be narrow enough to hit the edge of the car (corner of headlight) but not paint the jammer head. With 2 up there, you could spread them out and help ensure you are throughly covered. Next buy another dual head AL8 for the rear. Ouch!

Hey JTW, nice to see you back. Where are you seeing the onramp trick. Lately I've been seeing WSP shooting lidar along 405, I-90 and I-5 mostly from the shoulder or median and often never from the same spot. Oh and my laser shield is doing nothing as far as I can tell. Damn silver cars!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    I've been hit a couple times in the rear. Here was my report of a rear attack trap.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=8539

Since then I've been hit a few more times but have noticed that WSP predominately shoots from head on from the shoulder. I passed a trap today on the freeway. Moto cop pulled to the shoulder, hopped off and started shooting his PLIII. I saw him wave over at least one car. This are was on the freeway and breifly stepped out into the lane to wave the car down. I thought he was nuts.

As for your setup, well we really need more tests to know how effective a single head is. I'd concerned that at closer range the beam could be narrow enough to hit the edge of the car (corner of headlight) but not paint the jammer head. With 2 up there, you could spread them out and help ensure you are throughly covered. Next buy another dual head AL8 for the rear. Ouch!

Hey JTW, nice to see you back. Where are you seeing the onramp trick. Lately I've been seeing WSP shooting lidar along 405, I-90 and I-5 mostly from the shoulder or median and often never from the same spot. Oh and my laser shield is doing nothing as far as I can tell. *BEEP* silver cars!
    I've been seeing it ALOT on I-90 west of the summit. Hurry up and buy any jammer and PM me to test it :-) The offer is always on the table.

We need to start a Washington state jammer testing club.

JTW